New Scam involving PayPal????

bheronman
Contributor
Contributor

I just got  (about 2 PM EDT) an email from "paypal"  titled "your account is limited" saying my account was limited due to different computers attempting to log into my account.  It directed me to download the accompanying "form", complete it and then follow the directions.  I didn't do this, of course.  When I logged in directly to my paypal account I saw no indication of the "limits" so I figure this is some sort of scam.

Just a heads up for anyone else that gets such an email..............

Regards,  Rich

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

OrangePapers
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I get that kind of spam all of the time. You did the smart thing: NEVER fill out that form. It will send your account and password to the criminals who will empty your account.

Variations on the scam include:

"Your account has been frozen because somebody tried to do a suspicious charge to your account. Please fill out this form to unlock your account."

"Your account has been frozen because you need to update your password."

"Somebody is trying to charge your account $999,000,000.00. Please fill out this form to refute the charge."

"Somebody ordered a brand new computer on your account  and is charging your account $4,395, and the computer will get shipped to Las Vegas Nevada. Please fill out this form to reject the charge."

Login to Me Too

langbo
New Community Member

I received the same kind of email today. Said my account was suspended due to unknown activity, but it was sent to my email that was not connected with paypal. So i logged on to check for any notifications too. 

Watch out, people are always thinking of the next great scam.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.