Ebay seller scam?

Gilly
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item on Ebay and paid through Paypal.  I then received a message from seller through Ebay that the bank account attached to their Paypal account was closed (and I see that they have not sold anything on Ebay since last year) and could I cancel my payment and resend to another email address attached to another Paypal account.  When I told the Seller I could not figure out how to resend to that new email address, the seller sent me an invoice from the new Paypal account.  I do not believe this is a scam necessarily, but I am wary of sending payment to this other account because the buyer protection states that it is only effective if you send payment to the account associated with the seller.  My seller did add a note to the new invoice stating what the item is and including seller's name which could be traced to the original posting.  I don't want to lose my buyer protection as this is an expensive item and I want to be able to return if it is not as described (or get my money back if this is a scam).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I'd say this is a scam - the bank account has nothing to do with whether he can receive payments on Paypal or not and he can always add a new bank account.

I would refuse.

Login to Me Too

sdmerritt
Contributor
Contributor

Was this a scam? I have had the samething happen to me.Was your item recieved or what did you do? I have already sent my payment!! :s

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.