$1 deposits to credit card from unknown PayPal account in Singapore to access your card

Moonmusic
New Community Member

Yesterday at around noon, I wanted to create a UPS shipment and print a label to attach to the item to ship.  UPS informed me that I could enter an order but couldn't print a label without an account.  So I created an account with a credit card, created the shipment and printed the label.  

A few hours later, I get a call from my credit card 's bank spotting suspicious activity.  I look online at my credit card activity and there are three $1 deposits to my credit card from an unknown PayPal account.  I call the bank and tell them that yes I have a PayPal account but that I set up a dedicated banking account for PayPal that has limited funds and no connection to my credit card or any other banking account.  They tell me that the PayPal account is from Singapore and I tell them that its definitely fraud.  The fraud seems to be trying to link their PayPal account to my credit card so they can drain it.  So the bank removed the account, is issuing me a new card and I shredded my old card.

Now I can't say for certain that my activity on the UPS website was responsible for the Singapore fraud getting my credit card info but from now on I will not keep my credit info in a UPS account and will make my UPS shipments and payments with a representative on the phone and opt to fill out the shipping label at the UPS dropoff.

So if you see $1 deposits made to either a banking account or credit card from a PayPal account without your authorization, you are not receiving a freebie.  You may be being set up by someone using PayPal.

P.S.  On a side note, I also have to say something about PayPal's method of lifting the $500 monthly withdrawal limit from my personal PayPal account.  They've confirmed the bank account I set up for PayPal but to lift the limit require my social security number or for me to link to a debit or credit card.    Why would I willingly give my social security number to a site that's had such rampant fraud issues?  PayPal even sounds like a scam when they ask for that type of information.  I don't even think my bank or credit card company asks for that.  I will never willingly give PayPal my social security number or give them a credit card.  I feel safest staying with the $500 limit and not providing a link from PayPal to any means to withdraw money without my authorization.  Within those limits, PayPal works for me.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.