Will I get charged?

shoff20
New Community Member

Hey guys. So I have an account and am selling an expensive piece of electrical equipment to a local guy. He wants to pay me with paypal, and its going to be a $450 dollar transfer. If he has an account, will I get nailed with a fee? If so, how much? Thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

skier
Advisor
Advisor

2.9% plus $.30 on the TOTAL Amount = $13.35.    I would suggest doing a cash deal instead. 

If you do go with PayPal, hopefully you know and trust your buyer.   A deal like this will not be covered by the User Agreement  Protection for Sellers because it's local and chances are you will not be shipping this item via UPS or USPS.  Deals done via self delivery or customer pick-up are not covered.  Therefore you will not have any tracking information to support your sale should the deal go south.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

JucyChau
Contributor
Contributor

If you use the personal send money function, then will be no fees.

electronic cigarette

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

That's true and that how Scammers work.   What do your risk, absolutely no protection and the sender can claim that his or her account was hacked.  They then end up with the money being returned and the item.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@JucyChau wrote:

If you use the personal send money function, then will be no fees.

1) That would be a violation of the PayPal user agreement  which states...

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments.

If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

2) If the Personal payment is fully or partially funded by credit or debit card, the fee will be 2.9% plus 30 cents. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.