Why does Pay Pal keep 33% of donations given to me?

mediaplays
Contributor
Contributor

I set a DONATE button from Pay Pal and added it to my free web site. I received a donation of $1.00 but Pay Pal only gave me .67 cents. That is a fee of 33%. I thought they only keep 3%. What gives??? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Truth2Tell
New Community Member

I worked once for a shady guy in the furniture business. He'd sell damaged floor samples as new, promise lay-a-ways would be available when payed off, set loose the biggest dogs of commisioned retail sales to get something, anything, out of a customer, have local manufacturers copy decent lines then represent them as the same as quality lines etc. Invariably some wronged customer would come in and demand satisfaction and if he couldn't flim flam them with double talk he'd finally point his finger to the last few words at the bottom of the scanty receit which read "No Refunds, No Returns, No Exchanges," and scream, from an inch of their faces, "Did you sign this? Did you read it?" Most often the intimidated customer would slink away.

Concerns shouldn't be labeled complaints in a fashion that woud seem to discourage further discussion. This is my first venture to PayPal discussion. At Ebay, when voicing my concerns on some matters that the powers that be apparently would rather not have aired, I was attacked by a team of nasties who had zero feedback. Am I to believe that those people do no business at Ebay but created an account merely to hang around the discussion boards and assail "complainers?" And conversely, should not someone with such seemingly officious and condescending responses (responses numbering in the thousands!) identify themselves as being in PayPal employ?

I too was alarmed at the original post's concern as I am about to return to selling on Ebay, with PayPal assistance. I too considered sending a portion to charity. Here's why PayPal needs to reconsider the current set up........

While PayPal's fees on a generous donation of, say, $1,000 would only be $29.00 + .30, on a generous $100 only $2.90 + .30............know that these size donations accompanying a purchase on Ebay (where the mostly frugal shop) are rare indeed. The overwhelming majority of last second, whimsical donations are One Dollar, of which, apparently, PayPal is helping themselves to a full third.

The so called "lower rate" for "legitimate registered nonprofits" is laughable.

This resembles a polygon base whose sides are all triangles meeting in a common point, one built on now discredited reaganomics.

One donation of $1,000 minus $29.30 for PayPal = $970.70 for charity

Ten donations of $100 minus $3.20 for PayPal = $96.80 X Ten = $968.00 for charity

One Thousand donations of $1.00 minus .33 for PayPal = .67 X 1,000 = $670 for charity

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

fish007
Contributor
Contributor

The fee is 2.9% + $0.30.  If you submit proof of nonprofit status you'll be charged a reduced fee of 2.2% + $0.30

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/merchant/NonProfitsFAQ-outside

Login to Me Too

rickyblake
Contributor
Contributor

they come off like there only here to help. help themselves. i only use paypal if theres no other way

Login to Me Too

So
New Community Member

I do the same-only go through PayPal as a last resort! I have been to Ebay, found something I wanted and sent an email directly to the seller and they sold me the item off line but utilizing my credit card just as I have in the past. Ebay and PayPal are losing, not me.

JAFO

Login to Me Too

ad999

What a rip-off! They have a lot of nerve taking from charity. I'll go the "old-fashioned" way and get donations face-to-face or by mail. Definitely not worth it, when you are fundraising for charity!

Login to Me Too

Krimms
Contributor
Contributor

People are becoming aware.  Pay Pal is a theives nest.  They love our usage, because according to their "rules" they can charge a fee on anything. **bleep**. **bleep**. **bleep**. You get $6.10 of my money PayPal, but you will NEVER, NEVER, get any more it.  Scum suckers.

Login to Me Too

AuctionLovers
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal is already stealing enough money from everyone already, now they have to scoop into charities?  SHAME ON THEM!

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

The math is correct. $1.00 x 2.9% + $.30 = $.33

There's really no reason to complain as the fees are explained here.

As mentioned in the other post, PayPal does offer a lower rate to legitimate registered nonprofits with 501 (c)(3) status.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too
Solved

Truth2Tell
New Community Member

I worked once for a shady guy in the furniture business. He'd sell damaged floor samples as new, promise lay-a-ways would be available when payed off, set loose the biggest dogs of commisioned retail sales to get something, anything, out of a customer, have local manufacturers copy decent lines then represent them as the same as quality lines etc. Invariably some wronged customer would come in and demand satisfaction and if he couldn't flim flam them with double talk he'd finally point his finger to the last few words at the bottom of the scanty receit which read "No Refunds, No Returns, No Exchanges," and scream, from an inch of their faces, "Did you sign this? Did you read it?" Most often the intimidated customer would slink away.

Concerns shouldn't be labeled complaints in a fashion that woud seem to discourage further discussion. This is my first venture to PayPal discussion. At Ebay, when voicing my concerns on some matters that the powers that be apparently would rather not have aired, I was attacked by a team of nasties who had zero feedback. Am I to believe that those people do no business at Ebay but created an account merely to hang around the discussion boards and assail "complainers?" And conversely, should not someone with such seemingly officious and condescending responses (responses numbering in the thousands!) identify themselves as being in PayPal employ?

I too was alarmed at the original post's concern as I am about to return to selling on Ebay, with PayPal assistance. I too considered sending a portion to charity. Here's why PayPal needs to reconsider the current set up........

While PayPal's fees on a generous donation of, say, $1,000 would only be $29.00 + .30, on a generous $100 only $2.90 + .30............know that these size donations accompanying a purchase on Ebay (where the mostly frugal shop) are rare indeed. The overwhelming majority of last second, whimsical donations are One Dollar, of which, apparently, PayPal is helping themselves to a full third.

The so called "lower rate" for "legitimate registered nonprofits" is laughable.

This resembles a polygon base whose sides are all triangles meeting in a common point, one built on now discredited reaganomics.

One donation of $1,000 minus $29.30 for PayPal = $970.70 for charity

Ten donations of $100 minus $3.20 for PayPal = $96.80 X Ten = $968.00 for charity

One Thousand donations of $1.00 minus .33 for PayPal = .67 X 1,000 = $670 for charity

Login to Me Too

Dmitriy
New Community Member

Thank God I read this.I was going to put a PayPal button on my web site for $1 donations.Changed my mind after reading this.To the folks at PayPal I suggest changing the policy.Good Luck!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.