PAY PAL FEES ON POSTAGE PLUS .30 PROCESSING FEE UNFAIR

birdgaL
New Community Member

I MADE MY FIRST SALE OF $5.50 + $5.95 SHIPPING(11.45).  I PROCESSED THE SHIPPING LABEL THRU THE U.S. POST OFFICE WHERE I'VE HAD A CHARGE ACCOUNT TO DO THIS FOR YEARS.  THE SHIPPING LABEL AMOUNT IS THEN TAKEN FROM MY VISA ACCOUNT.

I REVIEWED MY ACCOUNT ON PAY PAL AND FOUND I WAS PAYING A FEE ON THE ENTIRE $11.45 MY CUSTOMER HAD PAID THRU PAY PAL.  I CALLED PAY PAL TO ASK ABOUT THIS AND WAS TOLD IT DIDN'T MATTER, PAY PAL WOULD ALWAYS TAKE THE 2.9% FEE PLUS .30 PROCESSING FEE ON EVERY TRANSACTION.  IN TRUTH THAT ADDS UP TO ABOUT 3%, AND THIS IS ALL IN ADDITION TO THE FEES EBAY CHARGES!

I WAS TOLD THE ONLY WAY I COULD AVOID THIS IS TO HAVE MY CUSTOMER PAY BY CHECK OR MONEY ORDER.  NOT AS CONVENIENT AS PAYING WITH PAY PAL BUT CERTAINLY MORE EQUITABLE.

SHE DID REFUND THE .63 TAKEN FROM MY ACCOUNT BUT NOW I'M WONDERING WHAT TO DO NEXT TIME?

PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU HANDLE THIS!  I JUST STARTED WITH EBAY BUT AM THINKING IT'S NOT WORTH THE TIME, EFFORT OR MONEY IT COSTS ME. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Payment processors alway take their fees from the TOTAL amount.

Merchant account providers also do it  

Login to Me Too

luvstampin
Contributor
Contributor

Please don't tell us you think Paypal should be a payment proccessor for free do you?

Ebay and Paypal are SEPERATE businesses. Of course they are going to have their own fees for using their services.

Ebay sellers CANNOT state or ask for payment by check or money order.It is a reportable violation of policy.

If you sell on ebay you must take paypal. You can also take other payment but PP must be one of them.

All the Paypal fees are listed right on the site & also did you read the user agreements so there is no other surprises you do not know about?

Please go read all about selling. Learn the policies. It will make your selling so much easier.

Hiow other sellers deal with this - We work the ebay/paypal fees into the starting bid cost to cover them .

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.