Fees being charged to Recipient on PERSONAL PAYMENT

jellen

Situation: Landlord has been receiving personal payments via paypal for rent from me and 4 others for months now and suddenly for last months rent he was charged 2.9% on nearly all of our rent payments (5 out of 6).

I've confirmed via paypal customer service that everyone did the personal payment option so that isn't the problem. We tried it again because Paypal said it was fixed and the recipient is still being charged the 2.9% fee!

What should I do? Has anyone ever experienced this? Not sure if this matters but on my end (sending money) the paypal receipt for the transfer shows no fees.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

I suspect rent payments sent to a landlord do not qualify as Personal Payments because they are payments for a service... the use of the property. Section 4.1 of PayPal's User Agreement states...

"If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments."

The PayPal Definitions section has the following text...

"Personal Payment" means amounts sent between two individuals (not to or from a business) without a purchase. Examples of Personal Payments include sending a gift to a friend or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill."

How are you funding the payment... PayPal account balance, bank account, credit card or debit card?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.