HELP...FUNDRAISING BT NOT A 501(C)3...PAYPAL WANTS TO VERIFY INFO...DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO????

SoReTwin

I recently created a standrad business paypal account. in the near future, I want to make the organization a 501(c)3 but in the mean time, I was trying to set up my account so I could begin to receive donations; I do not have a 501 (c) 3 tax code. I entered my self as an INDIVIDUAL under the category of NONPROFIT and subcategory or CHARITY. I figured since I registered as an individual, it wold be understood tha tI am an individual raising money for a charity. Now, PayPal is contacting me telling me that I registed as a nonprofit/charity and I need to send them the right forms verifying my 501(c)3 status. I just want to be able to collect donations. Is there another way for me to collect donations? Do I need to change something on my profile?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi SoReTwin, and welcome to the forums!

PayPal is required to comply with regulations regarding the movement of funds for nonprofits.

If you're collecting on behalf of an established charity that does itself have the 501(c)3 status, you can contact that charity to obtain documentation that states that they acknowledge your ability to collect on their behalf. Once you have that, submit it for review.

If you're intending to collect now for a charity that has not yet been approved for the status, it would be a good idea to put that on hold until the designation can be obtained.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.