Scammed just now!

Manvithg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi this is the first time ever I've experienced something like this and basically i'm very new to paypal , so I didn't know that friends and family transactions can't be cancelled. What happened was I got in contact with a seller (selling an in-game redeemable code) by the email of [redacted]. I was going to send him 10$ as a business (because i don't know him) but he kept on pestering me to send it as friends and family Capture2.JPG3.JPG

Since i was new to paypal , I didn't know that people can get sammed this way. so i proceeded to send him payment of 515  philipene pesos (becuase that was his currency). Then this scammer comes to me and has the decency to alert me that someone already bought his code through his 'bundle', which he's never advertised so i knew i was scammed. So i kindly tell him to give my money back and he provides me with his fake screenshot of a transaction in january the 28th which is absolutely impossible because i only ever sent him money today - february 4th.

unnamed.png

I then call him out on his scam and he replies with this:

Capture.JPG

So I've basically been ripped off completely. I have no idea what to do and i used paypal resolution center to open a dispute or unauthorized transaction but I don't think that will help because paypal is 'awaiting response from [redacted]'. since hes a scammer, i know that he will never reply. What do i do?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Manvithg

An unauthorised dispute is telling paypal that your paypal account has been hacked and used without your consent.

As they can see you did log in from your computer and authorise the payment then the dispute will more than likely be closed.

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
On the other hand, as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.
You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods.
Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Manvithg

An unauthorised dispute is telling paypal that your paypal account has been hacked and used without your consent.

As they can see you did log in from your computer and authorise the payment then the dispute will more than likely be closed.

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
On the other hand, as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.
You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods.
Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.