Why do I still get iTunes charges after I change my paypal password

usuallylogical
Contributor
Contributor

The first time we bought songs from iTunes, I provided my paypal password to pay for it.  Fine. 

After that, we were able to buy songs without re-entering the password.  Fine.

But now I want to prevent iTunes purchases from being charged to my paypal account.  I figured I could do this by changing my paypal password.  However, I was surprised to find out that the iTunes charges keep coming, even though I never gave iTunes the new paypal password. 

This seems like a security flaw to me.  If I change the password, then nobody should be able to charge my account by virtue of knowing some old password.

How do I prevent iTunes purchases from being charged to my paypal account, or at least force iTunes to re-prompt for my password?  Do I have to close my paypal account altogether?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Andy

usuallylogical- In this case, iTunes isn't using your password to charge your account; no one has access to your password. When you set everything up with iTunes, you essentially gave them permission to charge your account anytime a purchase was made using their service. It's called a "Preapproved Payment" or "Billing Agreement". So if someone gets access to your iTunes account, you would see charges on your PayPal account that you didn't make.

If you want to remove the Preapproved Payment, you would:

1. From the "Profile" link in your PayPal account, choose "My preapproved payments" under Financial Information.
  2. Select "iTunes"
  3. Click Cancel

if you don't see some of these options, it means you have our updated Profile page. In that case, you would:

1. Click Profile
  2. Click "My Money"
  3. Click "Update" by "My preapproved payments" then follow the instructions to cancel.

Hope this answers your question!

Andy

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

redpower
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@usuallylogical wrote:

The first time we bought songs from iTunes, I provided my paypal password to pay for it.  Fine. 

After that, we were able to buy songs without re-entering the password.  Fine.

But now I want to prevent iTunes purchases from being charged to my paypal account.  I figured I could do this by changing my paypal password.  However, I was surprised to find out that the iTunes charges keep coming, even though I never gave iTunes the new paypal password. 

This seems like a security flaw to me.  If I change the password, then nobody should be able to charge my account by virtue of knowing some old password.

How do I prevent iTunes purchases from being charged to my paypal account, or at least force iTunes to re-prompt for my password?  Do I have to close my paypal account altogether?

try changing your funding source to a card or something on itunes, and then if you want to go back to the paypal acct, it should ask for new password, and there should be an option to not remember password

Login to Me Too

usuallylogical
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you redpower for the response.  I can try changing my funding source, that's a good idea.

But I still think that the "remember password" should fail if all it remembers is the old, wrong password. 

Nobody should be able to make charges against my paypal account without knowing my current paypal password.  IMO that's pretty fundamental security, and the fact charges can be made, evidently using an old password is a huge security flaw.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Andy

usuallylogical- In this case, iTunes isn't using your password to charge your account; no one has access to your password. When you set everything up with iTunes, you essentially gave them permission to charge your account anytime a purchase was made using their service. It's called a "Preapproved Payment" or "Billing Agreement". So if someone gets access to your iTunes account, you would see charges on your PayPal account that you didn't make.

If you want to remove the Preapproved Payment, you would:

1. From the "Profile" link in your PayPal account, choose "My preapproved payments" under Financial Information.
  2. Select "iTunes"
  3. Click Cancel

if you don't see some of these options, it means you have our updated Profile page. In that case, you would:

1. Click Profile
  2. Click "My Money"
  3. Click "Update" by "My preapproved payments" then follow the instructions to cancel.

Hope this answers your question!

Andy

Login to Me Too

usuallylogical
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Andy for the excellend explaination. 

Oh well, at least I knew that it couldn't be right the way I (wrongly) understood it.

I consider the matter resolved.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.