PAYPAL condoning and assisting with buyer fraud

bestbuyer55
Contributor
Contributor

Has any seller experienced a similar  problem.  I sold a single electronics item to a buyer for a total of $285.00.  I shipped it USPS insured for the purchase price.  Since I did purchase insurance to protect this high value item from damage, I did not purchase "delivery confirmation" which paypal has renamed TRACKING.  I spoke to the local postmaster and was told that this service is not TRACKING it is Delivery confirmation.   Now comes the buyer stating that he did not receive the item. 

Next paypal takes the money from my paypal account and holds it.  No problem, I have insurance and I can go to the Post office to get proof of delivery, right?  Well that is what I did, and I obtained not  only a proof of delivery statment from USPS, but also a copy of the official signature showing that the buyer did receive and sign for the item on June 14, 2011. 

Now, comes paypal stating that the USPS documents are not acceptable, because paypal requires what paypal calls a Tracking number (which is really delivery comfirmation).  I aske the paypal representative how this can be since the post office confirmed that the package was delivered (as you already know delivery confirmation does not require a signature, and insured item does so that USPS has a signed confirmation that that insured item was delivered). 

So Paypal says that since I do not have a Tracking number to give them, they have no choice but to refund the money and let the buyer keep the item.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar experience. I can not file an insurance claim to get my money back through USPS because the item was delivered.  Does this sound legal to anyone out there.  I also sent scanned documents of the proof from USPS to the buyer via email, and of course no response.  Anyone have any ideas??

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sondre
Contributor
Contributor

Delivery confirmation and online tracking are  same but different things ...

Do you have tracking number,which you can enter online and it shows date/time of delivery and signature ?

Paypal do ask all seller to use delivery companys with online tracking for their own safety.

I dont think paypal going to do anything about it,because you cant provide online tracking number,but you can try small claims court against your buyer , it will cost you a little,but if it works out in your favour (it should - you got proof it was delivered) , the buyer will have to pay court costs 🙂

Just do a search on google about these small claim courts,or you can ask for help on eBay forums,people will tell you what to do to get started . i never had to deal with small claims court,but i know other people do when eBay/Paypal cant help .

Hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

bestbuyer55
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the response, but the buyer is not the one that reverse posted the money from my account causing a negative balance, paypal did.  Paypal is taking the buyers word and their policy on tracking online over the official and legal documentation from USPS.  Delivery confirmation does not require a signature, USPS insurance does.  I am going to pursue a claim though USPS and ask them to change their policies to make the Insurance tracking number and the signiture of receipt of the buyer to paypal so that they can verify it.  In a court of LAW PAYPAL and the buyer would be found guilty of fraud and possibly obstruction of justice on the part of PAYPAL for failing to accept legal proof that this high value item was delivered and signed for.  In most states any amount over $100 is a felony, and this amount is $285.00 of which paypal is an accessory to crime in this case.  So I can file criminal chaerges through the DAs office of the buyer as well as the DAs office of  the headquarters of paypal and the specific employees that were involved with this crime.  Along with Criminal charges, I can file in civil charges against both to cover legal costs associated with the unecessary outcome perpetrated by Paypal and the buyer.

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@bestbuyer55 wrote:

I appreciate the response, but the buyer is not the one that reverse posted the money from my account causing a negative balance, paypal did.  Paypal is taking the buyers word and their policy on tracking online over the official and legal documentation from USPS.  Delivery confirmation does not require a signature, USPS insurance does.  I am going to pursue a claim though USPS and ask them to change their policies to make the Insurance tracking number and the signiture of receipt of the buyer to paypal so that they can verify it.  In a court of LAW PAYPAL and the buyer would be found guilty of fraud and possibly obstruction of justice on the part of PAYPAL for failing to accept legal proof that this high value item was delivered and signed for.  In most states any amount over $100 is a felony, and this amount is $285.00 of which paypal is an accessory to crime in this case.  So I can file criminal chaerges through the DAs office of the buyer as well as the DAs office of  the headquarters of paypal and the specific employees that were involved with this crime.  Along with Criminal charges, I can file in civil charges against both to cover legal costs associated with the unecessary outcome perpetrated by Paypal and the buyer.

You have no legal leverage

Login to Me Too

sondre
Contributor
Contributor

Here in UK,we get tracking number,and when you enter it online,you can see a signature .

Yes,Paypal need to see a signature , the only proof that your buyer received item .

Login to Me Too

bestbuyer55
Contributor
Contributor

No legal leverage?  Are you an Attorney?  Appreciate any suggestions that you can provide. 

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sorry not an attorney.

You can take the buyer to small claims court and win.  I suggest you dont waste your time trying to fight Paypal though.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.