How long?

boone1188
New Community Member

There were three charges made in my Paypal account, and I've reported it, I want to know how long it takes to investigate it, as it's already been charged to my card. And secondly, how was someone able to get my Paypal password and other information? I thought Paypal was suppose to be the most secure site, and yet this happens.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi boone1188, and welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry to hear that your account had unauthorized access, but the good news is that PayPal protects you 100% in the event of unauthorized access!

If the payments were funded by your credit card, the refunds will go directly back to your card after the review process is complete and the claim is accepted - a process that takes approximately 10 days.

Passwords are generally compromised in one of a few ways:

• If you accidentally clicked a link in a phishing email and furnished information while thinking you were logging in to PayPal.com, that would be one way. If that happened, consider any info you supplied to be compromised.
  • If you have malware or viruses on your computer, there may be something logging your keystrokes and passing that information on to fraudsters. Run a virus scan, and after cleaning anything up that is found, change all your passwords.
  • Similarly, if you use an unsecured wireless connection, like at a coffee shop or an airport, there may be folks listening in on your connection and gaining access that way.
  • If you use the same password on multiple sites, it's possible that a less secure site was compromised. If someone gains an email/password combination that way, they may attempt it on PayPal "just to check". You'll want to change that password anywhere else that you've used it, and go with unique passwords in the future. I found a really good article about creating and maintaining a strong password system, for folks that have a gazillion passwords to remember.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.