told to close case before a refund can be actioned

stevieg803
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a large golf putting mat from China but I only received a pair of sunglasses. I raised a case in the resolution centre. The seller only contacted my private email not through paypal and offered a 50% refund if I kept the glasses. I agreed to this as I thought I could give the sunglasses to one of my sons as a present. The seller then said they couldnt refund me until the case was closed in the resolution center. Unable to contact paypal for advice , I closed the dispute as requested by the seller to enable the refund to take place. Since then i have informed the seller of the closure but have not received a refund or any further emails. Have I been conned and is ther any action I can take? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kaitse8
Contributor
Contributor

most likely you have been scammed because you only have 1 chance to open a dispute. 

well maybe you will be lucky that the seller will keep this word to refund you 50% but dun have high hopes

i remember one time i did raise a dispute on amazon because the umbrella i bought started to rust after a few times of use. i closed the dispute and the seller did send me a new one even though the quality sucks (chinese copy)

Login to Me Too

stevieg803
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts. I do think i have been scammed! Its good to have a second opinion. If I dont hear from the seller within the next few days I shall attempt to report them to paypal to hopefully prevent others being robbed as well.

Thank you

Login to Me Too

kaitse8
Contributor
Contributor

try to get PP to reopen your dispute by taking screenshots of your email convo with the seller. i guess it depends on how much effort you wanna put into it but personally i hate letting scammers easily of the hook. 

if you paid with credit card open a case with them to request a chargeback in case PP won't help you

good luck!

Login to Me Too

stevieg803
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks again
Login to Me Too

DonGerhardt
Contributor
Contributor

I recommend you escalate your case until you get a full refund from PayPal.

I have a similar problem with Pay Pal where the supplied sent a few face masks instead of a grill.  They conned PayPal into denying the claim by using the bad shipping # from the face masks.

Don Gerhardt

Login to Me Too

stevieg803
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks DonGerhardt,

i would like to escalate the case to a claim but they have tricked me into closing the case by telling me they culd not refund while a case was open

Login to Me Too

DonGerhardt
Contributor
Contributor

If a supplier asked you to close a case before they will give you a refund it is an example of an unethical supplier. PayPal should be monitoring these unethical suppliers and should not do business with them. In the past I relied on PayPal to only do business with honest suppliers. PayPal is asking for more government supervision and regulations by not keeping their house in order. PayPal is losing a good image and trust by not reacting to obvious fraud. I recommend that you do not give up until PayPal refunds your money.

Don <removed>

Login to Me Too

stevieg803
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you again for your support. I am trying to find a way to raise this as an issue with PAYPALbut they make it very difficult to contact them. It looks like that because I foolishly closed the case thatI had originally raised, I cannot reopen it. I am reading the various help articles at the minute looking for a way to highlight the fraud and hopefully prevent others from being conned by this seller

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.