reimbursement for Shipping Cost of Returning Item

MAQ7
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I purchased an item and paid for express shipping but the item arrived after more than 50 days. Moreover, it was broken/damaged and not the same item that I ordered!!

I opened a case and it has been decided in my favor and they asked me to send the item back to the seller. I did so and provided a tracking number for the shipping. However, I am asking for the cost of sending back the item since the case is in my favor and the seller should pay for it because he made the mistake by sending the wrong item. 

I am trying to contact PayPal to get refunded for the cost of sending back the item but no response from their side. So, I am not sure if my messages arrived to them and they are ignoring me or it has not arrived.

If I don't get reimbursed then this contradicts with the fact that I won the case because I loose money for sending back the item although it was the seller's fault. 

What is the best way to contact PayPal in this regard? 

What is the procedure to get reimbursed for the shipping cost? 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MAQ7

Paypal buyer protection can never be a 100% coverall, so in the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction, IF AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY .....

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

If you buy from a business in your own country then you may be able to recover those costs. (BUT if you choose to buy from a private or international seller you may not have that option).
You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MAQ7
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the information.

The web page for Return on US is not available. It seems either they stopped this option or it is not available for my country. PayPal claims that they have buyer protection but this is not accurate. How come they punish the victim by enforcing him to pay for the return whereas the seller who made the mistake will get back his item without loosing any thing?? This is really unfair!! 

Until now, I have not received any response to my messages from PayPal in this regard. Very sad. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MAQ7

They do give buyer protection but as i said its not a 100% coverall.

So you have to read up on it so you can risk assess your own transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

buyer protection covers the item only.

it is up to you and the seller to decide who should pay return shipping.

say if you bought an item from Walmart,and WMT said refund in full but it is not going to come to your house to pick up the item or reimburse you for time and gas and car .  

There is no buyer protection on shipping.

in the future,keep it in mind when you buy online,esp from overseas seller

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nevadasmith

That would depend on what country they are in.

A lot of countries can use the 'return shipping on us' option.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.