What's stopping the refund?

JVU
Contributor
Contributor

There is a company that billed me recently to renew its services. This was an "authorised"  (by me I guess) payment, according to Paypal, when in reality this was an unwanted payment from my side, which I did not know about.

I did subscribe to a service a few months ago through Paypal and it was meant to be a one-off payment for a limited period of time. After this time ended, the company billed me again for a new period and Paypal paid them, though I never allowed this payment, and even though when I did pay the first time (the one-off payment I did for that limited period of time) it was clear this was the case (it was not to be a recurrent payment)

Despite all this, Paypal paid to this company and when I appealed, Paypal still said this was an "authorised" payment by me, which is clearly not the case, and also, Paypal has closed the case and rejected a refund.

Meanwhile, I have contacted the company in question and they have agreed to a refund, but now they say they can't do it because Paypal has an appeal open at the moment, so they suggest Paypal closes the "so called" appeal. Now, it's been a few days since Paypal did let me know the case "was CLOSED".

So what is going on here? I did a one-off payment for a service for a limited period of time, they renewed without my consent this service through Paypal (and Paypal gave away my money to them without my consent too)

TheN I contacted Paypal and asked for a refund. They declined without any explanation, just saying case declined, and also, CLOSED.

At the same time I contacted the company in question and asked for a refund, and they said they would refund me, because they knew it was a dishonest move that could lead them into trouble, but they also say they can't proceed with the refund because there is an open appeal in Paypal and therefore they are not able to refund the money till it's closed.

Paypal told me a few days ago the case was CLOSED. What is going on here? How dishonest are all these big companies? What "appeal" is still open if Paypal has already declined a refund from their side and told me the case is closed? How can I follow the instructions of the company in telling Paypal to close the appeal, when Paypal itself has told me the case is closed?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

JVU
Contributor
Contributor

And while I am at it, why does Paypal put a little icon of an electric guitar on my profile? How and why do they take that step? I never uploaded that icon, and the funny thing is, I am a musician, I studied music and yes, I play electric guitar...Of course they know about it...how patronising is that?

Beyond pathetic. I do not appreciate it and it is an invasion of privacy...There should be a way to stop these criminals.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JVU 

Check if you had a subscription set up...
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JVU
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I checked that and it's all sorted now, thanks.

My problem is another one. I have contacted the company that took the payment and they say now Paypal put a hold on the money since I did open a dispute. The company I was talking about can do nothing since that is the case. In other words, PAYPAL HAS MY MONEY SOMEWHERE.

However, they did contact me several days ago, they said the case was closed and they have not said anything else to me since.

Now, that to me means this: Paypal took the money from that company as I reported that payment, has kept it since then and told me the case is closed an I lost the appeal.

Now, if that is not stealing, I don't know what is. A company takes my money from Paypal without my consent, I complain to Paypal. Paypal retrieves the money from this company, but then does not give it back to me and says I lost the appeal and nothing else. And that several days ago. So, obviously, it does appear as if Paypal is trying to keep that money.

UNBELIEVABLE. They have not told me anything such as they've put a hold on it and will give it back to me or whatever.

I sent some messages which is another option and I get some replies which I don't know whether are computer generated or a person at the other end.

This from a company which makes millions every day by doing nothing. Impossible to talk to someone.

A forum in which the community might try to help, BUT HAS NO SOLUTIONS AND NO ACCESS TO FIX THINGS.

All I want to know is: WHERE IS MY MONEY AND WHY PAYPAL HAS KEPT IT WHEN IT'S OBVIOUSLY NOT ITS MONEY.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.