Shaw Academy - is this a scam?

morkadosh
New Community Member

Hey there,

I subscribed to a free trial at Shaw Academy where it says you can "cancel anytime".

So I did, I cancelled the subscription not more than an hour after I signed up since I didn't find it useful for my specific needs.

I than got a 0.5$ refund from PayPal and continued with my dull life.

A day after I got a phone from Ireland, and it was a Shaw sales man. He asked me why I cancelled my subscription and I briefly told him.

A few days after, I got another call from there claiming I was absent of a class. I told the lady that I wasn't absent since I cancelled my subscription, and then we finished the call.

Today I found out that I was charged with 69.99$! (got a PayPal bill).

I then reached Shaw's support team and was answered:

Hi Mor,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

We see that you have registered to our 4-week free trial on 05 October, 2020 which was renewed on 04 November, 2020.

As per the terms made available, cancellation was not initiated before subscription renewal. Hence we will not be able to process the refund.

We also confirm that your membership is cancelled thus ensuring no further payments will be processed.

With the additional 6 months, you will be able to complete the courses you initially joined and many other courses.

Your subscription will automatically gets cancelled on 04 May, 2021.

Thanks for your understanding in this regard.

Shaw Academy Support team.

Why, Why, Why???

I never used their service! I cancelled it the same hour I joined it! 

By doing a quick search on Facebook and Google I found out that dozens of people had the same complaints! how can PayPal still trust them???

Did someone got a refund from them?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Leah2705
Contributor
Contributor
I signed up to then clicked on a pop up to get course material and then 44.99 was taken from my account i contacted shaw who said it was non refundable then raised a dispute through paypal shaw bow say they are unable to do anything because ive raised this dispute ive tried to cancel everything and they are now saying i have to phone them to do this despite originally saying its simple to can el through their site
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.