Requesting a refund on a free cancellation booking?

yasas96
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had to cancel my hotel reservation made on an online travel agency, and I had chosen the free cancellation option at the time of my purchase. I cancelled my reservation with the agency last month but still have not received my refund. I opened a dispute which Paypal denied because they claimed that "our records show that the item or service associated with this transaction was delivered to you." I am not sure what the basis of their decision was as I have not received my refund. What else can I do?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yasas96 

What kind of report/dispute did you file?

I didn't receive an item i purchased  

The product or service was not delivered to you. 

I received an item that's significantly not as described  

The product or service was significantly not as described in your order. 

I want to report unauthorized activity  

Report suspicious activity,transactions and account changes you didn't authorize. 

I have a billing issue  

Report issues with transaction amount, duplicate charges, refunds or canceled subscriptions.

Based on paypal's response, it seems like you filed for Item Not Received but that could also apply to the billing issue report as well.

Start with contacting the hotel booking agency about the refund.

When a refund is issued via PayPal, a refund transaction will show in your PayPal account as completed and a reference to the refund will show in the original PayPal transaction details too.

Issued refunds go back to original funding source so check the original funding source too. Arrival times may vary:  

• Bank payments, 3-5 or 5-7 days, depending on your bank. 
  • Cards, a week up to 30 days depending on your issuing card. 
  • PayPal balance, fairly instant. 
  • Split payments between PayPal balance and card/bank, see above.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

yasas96
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

None of the options seemed applicable to me, so I chose the item not received option since I cancelled it and will not be making use of the service.

The agency claimed that refunds take long, but I am worried about never getting my money back I read that some users never got refunded, which is why I took action on Paypal.

Is there any way that I can take this issue up with Paypal? i.e. file for a refund on Paypal or dispute the resolution on a basis of irrelevancy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.