Refund requires expensive return to China

Hope2cbliss
Contributor
Contributor
Product paid through PayPal was misrepresented and dysfunctional. My bank would’ve credited me in a dispute. PayPal however sided with the seller, despite UPS return postage of $54 as cheapest method for return for $51 merchandise. Unless this is resolved by PayPal, I will not use PayPal again. I feel unprotected.
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hope2cbliss 

Why don't you dispute it with your bank then if you are so convinced they will refund you?

Seems a better option, if not then.........

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Hope2cbliss
Contributor
Contributor
I did already call the bank. PayPal took money out of cash, which is not even tracked by the bank. I am trying to withdraw from PayPal altogether, emptied my cash reserves, but cannot yet remove my credit card. Bank said if any postings on my bank credit card from PayPal are suspicious before credit card can be removed, then they can dispute. But they can do nothing without a posting on my bank account itself or the bank credit card.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

That is exactly what happened to me. I was **bleep** and was persistent. Started a chat on dispute resolution center and got nothing from the first couple of customer service reps, kept insisting on dealing with a supervisor, finally one rep gave me a link to an unpublished site for return shipping reimbursement (up to $30), I refused to accept that because 1) shipping the worthless item (2 masks) back to Hong Kong would cost over $35, and 2) I don't feel it's fair for me to go thru all that trouble and risk catching a deadly disease on top, to satisfy the scammer's demand, and 3) the return address they provided turned out to be bogus/ambiguous so that the case will just drag on forever, or till the case automatically times out. PayPal, and unwitting consumers collectively is being played like a fiddle by these sophisticated scamers who know very well how PayPal operates. Anyway, one rep finally told me to file a complaint on www.ic3.gov, and upload screen shot of the submission, along with photos of the masks. And lo & behold, PayPal decided in my favor on the dispute. So I urge you to be persistent and hopefully a sympathetic rep will help you.

Login to Me Too

Hope2cbliss
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks to your advice, I did file a complaint with ic3.gov. These vendors and PayPal need to be culled out in hopes they will change business practices. My order was delivered within 3 to 7 days, but UPS requires $54 to mail this small lightweight package as cheaply as possible and requires 2-3 weeks. So the vendor must have a distribution center in the US and should allow returns accordingly. That part is a scam, as well as the misleading description of the merchandise.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.