PayPal is Helping Scammers, Not Consumers

Fire4Effect
Contributor
Contributor

Like many others, I was scammed with an ad for a cat scratching post in the shape of a cactus. I ordered the item described as “Cute Cactus Cat Climbing Frame Rope” for $33.98 with shipping. Several weeks later I received a bag of rope, as I later found others had. The seller offered to refund me $7.00, which I declined. PayPal wanted me to return the item, at my expense, for a full refund. Unfortunately as a consumer, shipping to China is expensive and would have cost well over $20. This isn’t a simple case of buyer’s remorse or not reading an ad. This is clearly fraud. The ad is worded in sufficient “Engrish” to be ambiguous, but the photos and lack of accurate description show it was intended to be deceptive. Aside from that, when many other consumers believed, because of the ad and price point, this was the entire unit pictured, there is clear cut deception. I trusted that I was protected by utilizing PayPal. So far, they have proven me wrong. Cocomaking has taken down their site, as there are numerous complaints. <a href="<Removed>" target="_blank"><Removed>> <a href="<Removed>" target="_blank"><Removed>>

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fire4Effect 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Paypal can't check every seller / merchant / website / company worldwide that uses them to receive payments.

They give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

Even credit cards don't give you 100% protection and some of those have been asking buyers to return their items first the same as paypal are.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fire4Effect 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Paypal can't check every seller / merchant / website / company worldwide that uses them to receive payments.

They give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

Even credit cards don't give you 100% protection and some of those have been asking buyers to return their items first the same as paypal are.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Fire4Effect
Contributor
Contributor
I understand PayPal can’t screen everyone, but they were given ample evidence to show the merchant was using their service to defraud buyers. In fact, by PayPal’s own demand, this was documented with IC3. There is also evidence I wasn’t the only person to make the same claim against the same merchant. Playing dumb only works the first time.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fire4Effect 

Exactly by the time disputes roll in and Paypal can act then its too late for all the users posting on here that they have been scammed.

A scam company can receive MILLIONS of orders before after several weeks buyers realise they have been scammed and start disputes.

So paypal may then act BUT that company can then just change names and set up again on another website.

Thats why its important to recognise them and avoid them and risk assess your own transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.