PayPal has allowed a conman to scam me!

AlPeaston
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed for $23.90 in early February by a bogus website called www.emoryshop.com. The scam is that the seller takes your money through PayPal and then give you a tracking number (mine was with UPS). I did receive a notice on Feb 8 or 9th that it was delivered BUT nothing was delivered to and I was home when the supposed deliver took place. I called UPS who told me it was delivered but NOT to my address and they said I had to contact the person who shipped it. On the site www.emoryshop.com there is a phone number and email contact - BOTH OF WHICH ARE COMPLETELY BOGUS!

The number of my complaint is PP-D-55045808.

Twice I have attempted to get my money back but since there is a real (though not my item's) tracking number this seller claims that the package has been delivered and PayPal closes my case. I've been told to get an intranet memo from UPS about where the supposed package associated with that tracking number was ACTUALLY delivered to - but UPS said the only information they can give me or PayPal is that it was delivered to Albany NY (which is where I live and also where the package was delivered). UPS did tell that the package was delivered to a Business address and my address is a private home / residence.

So it is a catch 22. UPS can't give PayPal the info to prove I never received my item and PayPal refuses to believe me when I try to get this resolve.

I have been with PayPal for YEARS and always believed that my payments through PayPal were secure. OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE NOT!

Perhaps this seller, www.emoryshop.com, is the one who should be investigated! When I investigated the web site www.emoryshop.com I found numerous scam notification website where others had the same fraudulent experience as me and many of those instances were in February of 2020.

I am a senior citizen on a fixed income, $23.90 is several days of food for me. I am outraged that a company that I have been associated with for so long (PayPal) can be so callous to a long term and loyal customer!

I will not let this go. I will continue to contact PayPal and any legal government agency I can about being ripped off through PayPal.

And if this is not resolved I will go to every website that has reviews (including Facebook where I have thousands of friends) and let them know how PayPal treated a senior citizen and that PayPal allowed a conman to steal $23.90 from me.

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
“The server cannot be found” is still shown on the url. A clue would be to get your own merchant account. I don’t agree with the policy that PayPal has about Chinese scammers but I avoid Chinese companies. You are angry that you got taken advantage of but being rude to people with an opinion that isn’t yours isn’t nice.
Login to Me Too

AlPeaston
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the error, the website is www.emeryshop.com  I had an o instead of the a in emery part

Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
They talk about payment in pounds and £. That would lead me to believe that the company is British and a New York returns address is suspicious. But if you have proof that they shipped to another address then PayPal needs to take action
Login to Me Too

Not40
Contributor
Contributor
You are correct. I am angry and to give you a little insight. I can still access their site and all items show US dollar amounts when displayed. I even went as far as to look at their contact us information and locate the place they supposedly did business from prior to making the purchase. Which btw was in California. It’s not like 60 dollars for a booster seat is a great deal so there was nothing there that really stood out. The last line of defense was that they used PayPal to process their payments. I have proof that the item was not shipped to my address and PayPal still refuses to do anything. This makes PayPal as much at fault as the original scammer. You think my reply to you was not nice however, to warn people of such a scam and encourage them to not have the same thing happen to them does not make them sheep as you so rudely put it. By your definition to research a company and include others experience in your decision to use them would in fact make everyone sheep. The complaints on this thread have to do with PayPal’s refusal to stand behind their buyers protection when the buyer has valid proof that the item purchased was not delivered to them and worse to continue to do business with those people. Maybe before you think someone is not being nice, you should take a look at your own unnecessary comment. END OF DISCUSSION!!
Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

What buyer protection does PayPal promise?

If you have proof of delivery to the wrong address, call PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

TiffTiff1234
Contributor
Contributor
I have been an avid online shopper for at least 18 years. I research companies before I use them. I have never had anything like this happen. PayPal helped me once on a case of another scam several years ago. That case did not have a tracking number and never sent product. In this scam....the "company" is good at hitting and running. They had no negative feedback or reports or complaints before I made my order. It wasnt until the past month that I have seen complaints pop up each day. Same story. What the scammer does is create another website with a different name using different PayPal accounts. I have always been protected by PayPal but this scam is slick. They actually steal tracking numbers. Because the tracking number doesnt really belong to the buyer...UPS tells the buyer to contact the seller when the address they have associated with the tracking number doesnt match. UPS cannot help because they have no record to the buyer. Tracking number lookups will only give city and state which is how they get away with this. They are slick to steal a tracking number from the buyer's city and state so it shows it was delivered to the city. Payapl only confirms that it was delivered to the city. Paypal has not yet caught on but I am hoping they will cause this is bad. If PayPal doesnt give me back my money, I will go through my bank. The purpose of the complaints are to expose this Emerystore scamming company and put PayPal on notice. Online shopping comes with risks but Paypal has got to see the pattern by now with thia company. Ridiculous. I actually plan to call PayPal to check on my case that I opened online.
Login to Me Too

AlPeaston
Contributor
Contributor
Ups finally gave me the name of the company that actually owned the Package associated with the tracking number. The customer service of the company was patient when I told my saga. They sent me an email with that tracking number and verified that I was never the buyer. PayPal finally refunded me my money
Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

TiffTiff1234
Contributor
Contributor
Glad you got your money back. I just got off the phone with Paypal and they said they have received complaints against this company for same thing recently and they are flagging them. Whatever that means. My case is still pending but the PP rep suggested I go ahead and call my bank so I can get funds returned sooner than later. I did just that. Like I said...hopefully PayPal will block them before they take advantage of someone else. $50 is my limit for companies I try to trust. I guess I will judt stick with the ones I know and trust. Wont be giving newer businesses a chance unless I can walk in them and complain. This makes me being scammed twice out of 18 years of frequent online buying. These scammers keep us all on top of our game and Paypal needs to step it up when it comes to these types of disputes and scams. Wont stop me from online shopping but does make me not feel the same about PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

They will be flagged today and open another site tomorrow. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.