Once again PayPal dissappoints

SteveAkiko
New Community Member

Back in February I ordered a very nice wall clock and paid via PayPal; after a month I still hadn't received a shipment notification, so I reached out to the seller, who then provided me with a tracking number. I followed the tracking info regularly as the package made the long trip from China, coming ever closer. On the day that it was to arrive I found in my mailbox a tiny package containing a tiny bluetooth headset (the kind some folks used to pair with their mobile phone), worth maybe $5, and of no use to me. I contacted the seller, who played dumb and said that perhaps my package had been delivered to a neighbor, or been stolen; when I indicated that the tracking number matched the package I received they asked for a photo, which I sent. Crickets...

When I reported the problem to PayPal, explaining that I was expecting a nice wall clock and instead received worthless crap, included the email conversation with the seller, and the original order document, PayPal simply dragged out the investigation, each week extending the estimated completion date (5 times), and then today they notify me that my claim was denied because the seller had provided them a tracking number indicating that the package had been delivered. 
I am furious, but there is no recourse provided. By this measure if I order a $1000 stereo receiver and the seller ships me a $10 electric toothbrush then PayPal will say I am out of luck. Is it any wonder that I use PayPal only when there is no other alternative? Well in the future I'll be using them even less. I'll now reach out to my bank to see if they can step in to retrieve the payment. 
Scammers eat #$!#%^&%^*, I think we can all agree, but I thought that PayPal's assurance actually meant something. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SteveAkiko 

You filed the wrong case or the case needed to be changed to significantly not as described. Click the bell icon, then click “view messages”  to create a message to request PayPal to change your case to significantly not as described. Note: You’ll be asked to return the item on your dime with tracking for a refund. PayPal cannot refund more than what you originally paid.

There is protection but there are limitations to it. PayPal never claimed that the protection is 100% guarantee. If the outcome of the dispute is not suitable, you can dispute through your card issuer instead.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.