My account is permanently limited for no apparent reason

kgswiger

I logged in yesterday to find that my account is permanently limited. There was no sensible reason given.  This is the message I received:

Account permanently limited
Some of your products or services are in violation of the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, and you can no longer use PayPal.

The problem with this is, I don't have any goods or services that I'm offering. I'm a currently out of work software engineer. The only person to send me money via paypal this year is my friend Sofia's brother, who sent me 1 penny on Feb. 18th, for some reason. Other than that, I use it to pay my Google storage bill every month, and I pay a service for access to their snapchat, and mostly I send money to my friends around the world. Oh, and to pay my Boosty subscriber fees. I've been doing the same things for well over a year. All of a sudden, something about what I've done every month for years is shady.

I get that they don't give a rat's asterisk about me, or my piddly little account. Fine, I can live with that. But, I would really like to know just what transaction was the problem? I'm not buying anything different, I'm not selling anything at all, and, so far as I know, none of my friends are drug lords or terrorists. I tried sending an email asking, and get nothing. I tried to chat, and can't. I even called their help line. They actually hung up on me before I could say a word, other than saying the number they gave me to speed up the call. Well, it surely sped the call up. I got 3 seconds of Hold muzak, then they disconnected.

Thinking about it, there is one thing I did differently in early March. I bought crypto for the first time in my life. I paid for it using PayPal, and I only bought it from PayPal. $75 each, for each of the 4 currencies that PayPal sells. I go every few days and look at it, just to see how it's doing. I can't spend the crypto on anything, I can only hold it, or sell it via PayPal.

Speaking as a software engineer, this strikes me as something driven by an algorithm, rather than done by a person. And anything that would trigger a permanent limitation should, as a matter of policy, call for a manual review, with input from the account holder. But, because they're so large, they don't care to actually do any customer service.

So, since I know that I'll never get an answer to any questions, and nothing can be done, I'm going to exact some petty revenge. I'm going to do what I can to convince people to not use PayPal, and to definitely never keep money in their PayPal account. And don't buy crypto via their service. Basically, I figure that I can convince enough people to cost PayPal a few hundred dollars per year in lost fees. It's not much, but it makes me feel better. (I've actually already cost them about $34 in lost fees.)

Peace out, flickers.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.