Misdirected payment, is this fraud?

Brahmslover04
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Last night I ordered a pair of sneakers from Brookks.com, a well known running shoe company.  When I went to checkout, I used PayPal, as usual.  On my PayPal receipt, instead of Brookks.com, the payment went to Shelley Burnett, LLC.  When bvb I clicked to return to vendor, the receipt took me to lsvedongbei.top, a site for celebrity gowns.  Not Brookks.com.  Shelley Burnette is a realtor.  My shopping cart at Brooks still has my shoes in it.  What is this?  Where is this fraud coming from?  I think my PayPal account has been highuacked

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

Dillon4
Contributor
Contributor
This happened to me too, exact same thing. I ordered shoes on the 8th Sept and my PayPal receipt says Shelley Burnette! did you get any feedback on this yet Brahamslover04?
Login to Me Too

Brahmslover04
Contributor
Contributor

I went to my credit card company to dispute this purchase.  They have more clout dealing with vendors.  I advise you do this.  Also, mention you paid through PayPal.  Obviously, there is a link to PayPal that shouldn't be there.  It takes a while for disputes to be handled.  I'll let you know what happens.  In the meantime, I am only going to trust brick and mortar.

Login to Me Too

monoxide
New Community Member

Brookks.com is different than brooksrunning.com (the actual company online store)  Brookks.com might be legitimately selling Brooks shoes, but it might just be a small independent reseller.

Login to Me Too

Brahmslover04
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Monoxide,

The strange thing was when I clicked on "return to vendor", I was sent to a celebrity fashion site.  All gowns, no shoes.  It seems to be a Chinese address.  I believe I was suckered at the site.  So beware of Brookks.com.  I believe it's a scam.

Login to Me Too

Drewtylor23
New Community Member
Yeah the same thing happened to me as well. I bought two pairs of shoes for $75 on one of those shoe apps that always show up on your Facebook page. And when I went to pay for them it showed that I had paid Shelley Burnette LLC and gave me a ID number and something else but no way to track it what should I do? Will PayPal cancel the transaction or is it too late?
Login to Me Too

Dillon4
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, I still think the brookks site is bogus. I emailed both the website and Shelley Burnette (who has a decidedly fishy email address btw)... and no response atall.
Login to Me Too

monicayoyo
Has anyone been able to get any help with this situation?
Login to Me Too

Nm1stunnaBZ
Contributor
Contributor
Same story here. Bought two pair of shoes off of a Facebook page and was informed later that the payment went to this Shelly Burnett woman. Still no shoes two weeks later and no way to contact the vendor. Did anybody else receive their shoes at least?
Login to Me Too

fiftythree
Contributor
Contributor

Its a scam.

I almost fell for it, there are a number of warning signs. Prices are too good to be true. the site is http, not https. the official brooks site is brooksrunning.com

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.