Is there a way to protect online workers from employers who files false claims?

FDana
New Community Member

Hi,

I just want to consult my problem because this is depressing and after using PayPal for a long time (most of the time for buying things online), with no case filed to anyone and no case filed against me, I met someone who hired me to work for him as his eBay Lister. We decided he pays me through PayPal every end of the week, Sunday. First week went fine, he paid me through a PayPal account different from his name but I didn't put too much thought about it. Second week came and he paid me and incomplete payment with his real PayPal account, he said he'll add it to my payment for the third week. I was fine with it because I don't want to argue and I trust that he will pay. Third week came and he didn't pay me, so I waited until I finally sent a message about my payment. He said sent it already, I checked and he paid me through another PayPal account.

I decided to stop working for him because this is slowly getting suspicious as I've heard of online workers not getting paid, and this is the first time I received payments from a person with different PayPal Accounts.

This is where the problem started, days after he made the last payment I received a notification that he filed a non claimed item using his real Paypal account. He is trying to refund the payment for second week. I went through our shared files to find proof of my work for him, including the recorded details of my hours of work but he deleted them already. Fortunately I kept our skype chats where I tell him I've done the work and he said, he send the payment or payment sent. I hope this is enough because it's the only proof I got.

A few days past and he filed another dispute for a non-claim item, this time it's the first payment he made which is another Paypal account. In it he said "I did not receive the item I purchased." I was shocked, because it's a lie and I don't even know how to defend myself or is there a proof to show I'm not even owning a shop to sell anything? Fortunately, in that payment he noted 30x1.5=45, it means 30hours for 1.5per hour = he paid me $45. I included it in the proof I sent I hope it helps me. Also I retrieve in my old email messages an invitation to join his staff on Inkfrog - and he activated it. I hope it also helps. I sent both as proof against his claim.

By now I have 2 cases of non-claimed item by a single person. I'm not going to be surprised if he use the other PayPal account to make a non-claim again for his third payment. Only now did I realized why I was paid with multiple accounts - so he can claim them back at the same time.

I hope PayPal can do something to stop this kind of people. I just want to earn a little to help in my expenses at home but I ended up getting unlucky and met a guy like him.

I'm waiting for the results of the dispute, I sent all the proofs I can get but this kind of experience is depressing. I'm new to receiving pay online so I just agreed to his terms. 

I hope there is a way I can prove I don't sell anything. I hope there's a protection for receiving payments from work done online so sneaky people who ask for work then refund the pay (pretending to not receive a purchased item)  from online workers can be stopped. Can he claim/refund without showing proof that he bought something from me?  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FDana

There is no seller protection for 'virtual' transactions, you can go ahead but at your own risk.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.