How to resolve online scam? --> Payment reverted on an authorised transaction

l0ver
New Community Member

I am a seller, and one of my buyers has recently reported "unauthorised activity" on their PayPal account, and has therefore reverted their payment, when in reality they consented to the payment.

Throughout my time selling goods, I have found that this is a very common scam for purchases made through the internet. Last time this happened to me, I tried contacting PayPal numerous times (way too many times) for them to side with the buyer, even though I provided many screenshots with evidence of the authorisation by the buyer.

This has happened to me yet again. *sigh*

Has anyone ever actually managed to resolve an issue where the buyer has reverted their payment on a transaction that was authorised and legitimate? (I gave the goods)

Thanks PayPal community

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@l0ver 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.