How much effort does paypal put into resolving complaints?

flyin-lowe
Contributor
Contributor

I was recently the victim of a scam on Ebay.  The seller had almost perfect feedback for several years.  I made a purchase from them and received a tracking number.  A couple days later tracking showed the product arrived, when I got home nothing.  I have a camera system and my family was home due to COVID.  I contacted UPS and they confirmed the package was not addressed to my house but they would not tell me where it went since I mentioned it might be a scam.  Long story short I checked the sellers feedback again and the next 2 pages of feedback all report the same.  The seller account was now fraudulent and he would send an empty UPS envelope to a residence near by the sellers home so that I valid tracking number would be sent to the buyer.  I was very thorough with my explanation to Pay Pal, documenting what UPS showed, what was going on, and most importantly the fact that 50 or more people reported the exact same complaint against this seller.  Ebay even recognized the  account was now fraudulent and shut it down.  When the seller was contacted and asked for "his side of the story" all he did was respond with a tracking number, no other explanation of verbiage.  Pay Pal eventually ruled that since the seller proved delivery that my dispute was declined.  Ebay is telling me that since I contacted Pay Pal first that they cannot do anything.  If anybody from Pay Pay would have taken 1 minute to read the information I provided and more importantly looked at the sellers recent Ebay feedback it is obvious the sellers was scamming people.  I had always used Pay Pal thinking I had some protection, needless to say I am very disappointed in this entire process and how it was handled from start to finish.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@flyin-lowe 

When i needed to contact them years ago before helping out on here i just opened a facebook account in 5 minutes, never used it after that, just kept it open in case.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@flyin-lowe 

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment or that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page), via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

If that does not work and you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then speak to them and see if they will chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

flyin-lowe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I will see what UPS will provide me, it seems that in the month that Pay Pal has been reviewing my case they could have requested that information instead of just saying that the ruled in the sellers favor since he provided proof that the package was delivered to me.  I appreciate your response.  At this point I am more curious what process Pay Pal takes to review these claims.  It is as if they ignored all of the information that I provided and took the fact that there is a tracking number at face value.  

Login to Me Too

flyin-lowe
Contributor
Contributor

If a person does not have a facebook account or twitter account, is there another way to contact Pay Pal about this dispute?  UPS sent me documentation to to show the package was not shipped to me but I can't find a way to get it to Pay Pal.  One with think with the billions of dollars they have made they would make it a little easier to get in touch with someone.  I am assuming it is due to COVID but there is no phone number listed and when I go to the dispute link itself it just says it is closed and sends me in a loop to the different FAQ's none of which help.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@flyin-lowe 

When i needed to contact them years ago before helping out on here i just opened a facebook account in 5 minutes, never used it after that, just kept it open in case.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

flyin-lowe
Contributor
Contributor

I know things are crazy with COVID Etc. but I finally got through to someone via chat.  It took three days, of a continuous chat. I would speak to someone who said they could not help me and they were transferring me to someone else, then 8 or 9 hours later I would get an email that they chat was back active, only to be told again that they could not help me and I would be transferred to someone else.  I was then told to upload the email I had from UPS which showed the tracking number and that the package was not addressed or shipped to me.  I was most recently told that this was not enough, however I was told that Pay Pal would contact UPS on my behalf and get the confirmation they needed.  Time will tell if that happens or not.  Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiries. I have learned a lot about Pay Pal (none of it good) during this entire process.

Login to Me Too

flyin-lowe
Contributor
Contributor
There seems to be a new scam going around. I did call UPS and what I uploaded to PayPal did have the address and name on the package that was sent. My local UPS said they have had about 25 similar scams. What this guy is doing after the sale is having and empty padded envelope sent to an address near the buyers address so it generates a valid tracking number. She said what The guy sent cost the seller about $4.00. She said she is getting a lot of calls similar to mine because if the seller provides pay pal with a valid tracking number then they initially rule in the sellers favor. Reading his eBay feedback some people think they were the victim of a porch pirate because they look at the tracking number and it shows delivered. The form that UPS sent me showed that the package was delivered a few blocks from my house.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.