Got scammed at localbitcoins with the chargeback. Will Paypal help?

George555

Yesterday I made a transaction at localbitcoins exchanging Bitcoin for Paypal money. A few hours later the sender requested chargeback and Paypal put my money on hold leaving me with a negative balance. I started doing research and realized that this is a very wide-spread type of scam and looks like PayPal haven't protected any seller so far.  This is very suspicious, because this is obviously a scam and Paypal already knows about it.

Any hope that Paypal will help me solve this problem and punish the scammers?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@George555

Unlikely they would protect you as there is no seller protection for items that are 'cash equivalents' etc.

You can sell them at your own risk.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

George555

@kernowlass

Thanks for your reply.

In that case I would assume they are deeply involved in this scheme otherwise they wouldn't make it so much easy for scammers to steal people's money. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@George555

There are lots of categories that Paypal seller protection does not cover.

You need to read up on it before you start selling so you can risk assess your transactions.

eg I wanted to sell my car recently and 'could' have accepted Paypal and been scammed with a chargeback........but I didn't as I knew I would have had no seller protection for a motor vehicle.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

George555

@kernowlass

I see. They are probably even deeper involved! Crazy how no one can do anything about that!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@George555

Very easy to do something about it, READ up on seller protection and then risk assess your own transactions.

If YOU want to take the risk then go ahead and take it but don't blame Paypal for your own mistake.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rennolajavier
Contributor
Contributor

This only shows how inefficient paypal is to sell things, I would never use PayPal to sell to strangers, or anything related to localbitcoins   

Login to Me Too

Mickeyroo
I agree PayPal are not only allowing this but facilitating this time and time again using and hiding behind the ts and Cs and taking a fee !
Login to Me Too

zen2618
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the same situation, has anyone been able to successfully solve such  dispute with Paypal?

Login to Me Too

RangoYuan
New Community Member

This is **bleep**, I lost my bitcoins. How can I contact PayPal?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.