Fraud

PaulKim
Contributor
Contributor

On Nov 6, I was trying to buy a game account from eBay which They put discord account on their description with saying 2 to 12 hours to deliver. So I contacted them through discord. And they asked me to pay through PayPal or bitcoin. my card had a limitation of transferring money so I asked my co-worker to send them instead of me and I sent my co-worker the money after he sent them. After the payment, they said I should send as "the friend" option not the "buy goods" option, so they refunded me. I sent them again with "Friend" option, and they said they got a system error since I made the first payment as "buy goods" option and asked me to send me again with the same amount to the other PayPal account that they will give me, then they will able to give me refund instantly and with the game account. I sent him money again, and after they received the money they said they forgot that it's on weekend. And ask me to wait til their system gave them approval ( i don know what system they been talking about) to give me a refund and the accounts. it was on Nov 8. They said "Tomorrow 1 PM, everything will be done". So i waited, and after Nov 9, 1PM, they didn't send me anything, and texts so i texted them is this scam. They replied me like an hour later that "

Yo im working today give me your email everything is confirmed I will send u accounts into an email and here(discord) after 2 hours, refund too"

I waited 3 hours, nothing came, no texts came. I texted him about this and after an hour, he texted me" Like wtf, I'm going home atm"  (Nov 9)

at this moment I thought this is a scam, so I tried to contact PayPal about this and opened a case with "unauthorized payment" which supposed to be "item didn't receive" but I couldn't find the "item didn't receive" section on the resolution center so I just reported as "unauthorized payment".

They didn't text me anything after "wtf I'm going home atm" and after I reported at PayPal, like 10 min later they acted like they were going to give me accounts and refund but they said " did you open a case or did something?" and tried to blame me with this. And they cannot give me a refund since i opened a case. And I just finished the conversation by saying ill just wait till PayPal fixes this. 

And PayPal said" since its not unauthorized payment, they cant cover the money"

this is fraud for sure, they didn't say anything to me until I started the conversation after the payment, I didn't receive anything even I sent money twice. They made me wait like forever again and again even they said "tomorrow 1 PM, everything will be done"

This has a lot of summary of the conversation. I just wrote some important things that I think its a scam.

I think it's really unfair that PayPal doesn't cover this only because I sent them money with the "Friend" option. They made me pay with that. and I did not receive anything. I'm willing to send all the conversations that I had with him. You will instantly know this is a fraud. But there was no way that I can send it. There was no customer service that I can talk to, they said they will respond within a few hours but never responded when I messaged them. So I want to have some answers from here if it's possible.

Thank you for reading this long writing.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PaulKim 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.
You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.