Fraud claims, Was Hacked and next steps.

temp20191017
New Community Member

Not sure whom to ask or where to turn what to do next. I was hacked on the PayPal website. And PayPal does not believe me. I was on my bank website and noticed strange charges funding my PayPal account. I checked my email first. There were no notifications of the PayPal activity. Then on to the website PayPal itself. Three charges, Two 40 USD General payments to different individuals. And a 250 USD to an Egifter card website. I changed passwords, security questions and changed phone number. Strange the previous phone number was added the same date as the transactions. I was in such a hurry  I failed to write the number down. Also no notification in my email. 

I reported this to the resolution center. They reviewed for 20 hours and said "Based on our review, we found this transaction is consistent with your PayPal payment history". I use my PayPal to receive money, pay for domains and hosting, iTunes, Online software, and not often Ebay. From the PayPal transaction report. I have a record of 2years 10 months and 14 days of the 189 transactions.  Within this record 2 years , 6 months and 20 days ago. I did send someone money. I sent 100 Taiwan Dollars ($3.20) for them to test their new account. 

So how is that consistent with my payment history?  Two 40 USD general payment to two different people within 1 minute 30 seconds? Then the 250 USD

4 minutes and 40 seconds later. 

I chatted with help desk asked them reopen the case. This time they reviewed for an hour and 30 minutes again they replied looks like normal activity. 

Is the only recourse is to send them mail to :

PayPal, Inc.

Attn: Unauthorized Account Access Appeal

P.O. Box <removed>

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Mitch122
New Community Member
Any updates to resolving this with PayPay? I have just encountered the same exact hack and am trying to figure out how to resolve this.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hello, @Mitch122. Thanks for taking the time to let us know here on the PayPal Community Forum that you're trying to address an issue with unauthorized activity.

It sounds as though you have submitted a report to PayPal via the Resolution Center. If not, please check out https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-report-potential-fraud,-spoof-or-unauthorized-tran... to see more information on how to do that. If you have submitted a report, have you received an update?

If any disputes were denied, have you been in touch with Customer Service regarding the situation? You can call, send a message via your account, send a Private Message via Facebook or send a Direct Message via Twitter.

To call or send a message, log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page. To send a Facebook Private Message, you can click Send Message at https://www.facebook.com/paypal or go through the Messenger App at https://m.me/PayPal. Please send a Direct Message via Twitter to @AskPayPal.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.