Fell for a trick

jules_925
Contributor
Contributor
Been a bit daft I'm afraid and fell for a scam.....without thinking I let the seller talk me into setting the payment up as to friend or family which now, after the fact, I can see isn't allowing me to raise a dispute with this unscrupulous seller. Is my position hopeless or is there a precedent for getting the family-friend status changed so that I can atleast try for a refund ? Thanks in advance. J
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @jules_925,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear that the seller convinced you to send the payment in this way.  Friends and family payments are intended to be used for things like paying a friend back for lunch or sending a gift payment to family. These types of payments aren’t covered by PayPal’s Purchase Protection. You can find full details on Purchase Protection here: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security. When there's a problem with a friends and family payment, we strongly encourage the sender and recipient to work together toward a resolution. If a resolution can't be met and you paid via card or bank, you may want to reach out to your financial institution to seek other dispute options.

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.