Fake account created in my name and it was sent to Collections

scalhotrod
Contributor
Contributor

This goes back about a year when I received a letter from a collections company trying to collect money they said I OWED to Paypal. So I called Paypal about this because I had CREDIT balance on my account.

The rep I talked to filed a "Not my debt" claim along with an ID Theft ticket and I got a case number.

Paypal investigated and determined that it was a fraudulent account and that I had not opened it. I spoke with the Limitations Dept. and akhed that letter stating their findings be mailed to me. This gets us to February of 2020.

The letter was never sent and quite frankly because of COVID and such, I forgot about it.

Then a couple of days ago I received ANOTHER LETTER from a different collections company for the identical amount of money and referencing the same fraudulent Paypal account.

As of right now, Monday morning 12/14/2020, I'm on hour 3 of making phone calls to Paypal Customer Service. Four calls have been dropped by them (I'm on a land line) and I've been transferred twice.

I'm wondering if at this point if I should contact the California Attorney General's office to inquire about an investigation along with contacting the Federal Trade Commission in Washington D.C. to make a formal complaint.

I don't want this to affect my credit rating since it involves fraud, but I also don't want there to be a record that I owe this money

I found a similar question in the archive, but the Paypal person just said to contact them for a resolution.....
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Protections/Fake-Paypal-account-created-under-my-name/td-p... 

Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.