Facebook junk from China insisting on return before refund

TACNJ
New Community Member

Made the mistake of buying something off Facebook that turned out to be ripoff imitation of a US product.  They advertised two for the price of one but only shipped one and the one that arrived was broken on arrival. A $37 purchase. Requested full refund as I have zero to show for my purchase. They offered $11. I declined. They offered $18 for my total acquistion of nothing. I declined and escalated. Paypal approved full refund but contingent upon shipping broken piece of junk all the way back to China at what will probably cost as much as I paid.  

What would you all do? Can I just tell VISA to cancel the charge?  Quit Paypal over their basically enabling what amounts to little more than a rip-off scam by these Chinese con people?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TACNJ 

In the event of a dispute you choose your seller and not Paypal so you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.