Double charge to both Master card account and also paypal balance

Avongugg
Contributor
Contributor

I have a real problem with Paypal master card billing me for a charge I made using my paypal credit card but the amount was also deducted from my cash balance I carry in my paypal account, I contacted the master card department and they say they cannot see my paypal activity and that it was already paid through them, this is a rip off and double charge to me. I just signed up for the paypal credit card not long ago so I suggest that anyone reading this use caution and reconsider signing up for the card. They offer a 2% pay back benefit but I suppose they use these skims in double charging customers to fund their 2% benefit... This is not the first time I have had issues with the paypal accounting.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Avongugg 

Is the charge on the PayPal credit card a temporary pending authorization with funds held or did it actually post? Also, look on the transaction details in your PayPal Activity page, does it say "Paid by PayPal balance backed by CARD XXXX".

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Avongugg
Contributor
Contributor

My Paypal cash account where I have a balance had two charges deducted (paid out) from my balance and these two charges also appear on my credit card statement who is asking I pay for them. Paypal and Paypal master card say they are two separate entities yet somehow I was double charged.

Login to Me Too

Avongugg
Contributor
Contributor

in my activity there is no activity for these two charges as usual that are supposed to state reversal of general account hold like i have seen in previous months. when I charge something they place a hold, then they pay and then they are supposed to reverse the hold.

Interestingly enough I have been using my Paypal master card a lot recently but only two of the charges appear both on my paypal account and my master card account.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Avongugg 

Call customer service to reverse those PayPal balance transactions as duplicates:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Very odd that if you meant to pay with your PayPal credit card, that it would charge your PayPal balance too. I can see where if you're paying with PayPal balance as the main funding source that it also charges your card temporarily as back up.

Do you recall selecting the PayPal credit card as the main funding source while checking out? Were these transactions made online? Or in-store?

I wonder that if you use the PayPal credit card in-store would there be a record of it in your PayPal account. It should because they have you link it to your PayPal account to access the card management features. PayPal just glitches out weird sometimes. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Avongugg
Contributor
Contributor
I do have my master card selected as the preferred method of payment. I made many charges this past week and only two show up in my Paypal account as paid, and those two are also in my credit card statement. Very strange! I asked why don’t all my charges show up in Paypal and the representative was ignorant... they asked me if they showed up in Paypal as paid as he couldn’t see the Paypal account, he could only see my credit card transactions, I didn’t dispute the master card because I did use that method of payment. Paypal was closed today so I’ll call them tomorrow.
Login to Me Too

twinklesparkle
Contributor
Contributor

This is happening to me too!  Did you ever get this fixed?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.