Don't Use USPS 'Package Intercept' Service!!

CaliCatKC
New Community Member

Just a heads-up on a new service that USPS is now offering called "Package Intercept.'  It is a joke and a total rip-off!

I do a lot of shipping and this sounded like a wonderful service!  A couple months ago I accidentally shipped a package to '26 Main St.' instead of '25 Main St.'  My client received the usps tracking info and immedately contacted me about the error.

I had put the package in the post office's pakcage bin late on a Saturday night, so when my client contacted me early on Sunday morning, I went to usps.com and initiated the package intercept request. It said that my package was eligable so I proceeded to spend $11.50 (original shipping had only been $8) for the re-route.

All seemed well and my request went through.  I did see where it said that the intercept was not guaranteed, but no where on the info page did it say that the fee was non-refundable (AMX also reviewed the info page and concurred).

Well, the package was never intercepted even though tracking clearly shows that it did not leave my post office until Monday and did not get to (the wrong adress) until the following Thursday.

After I received an email from usps saying, 'Sorry we couldn't get to the package in time,' I initiated a refund through the USPS website and never heard anything. After a month I called USPS and was told by both the representative and her supervisor, that the fee is simply for their 'attempt' to locate and re-route the package and that it is non-refundable!

AMX refunded the charge for me. 

USPS is losing money.  They have a devised a 'service' that will take a crazy amount of money from your pockets for 'attempting' to re-route a package.  There is no proof or guarantee that they will even try to intercept the package. They don't have to! They get paid for this no matter what.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the tip.  You're right, they get paid regardless of the results.

Just checked the USPS site concerning this service - one has to really read the fine print.  There's a Disclaimer link at the bottom of the info page - when you click on the link, you will see the following:

Disclaimer

Login to Me Too

Acatanese
Contributor
Contributor

USPS charged me $55 (non-refundable) plus $11.50 (Non-refundable) for the same feature.. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Login to Me Too

jdemarco
Contributor
Contributor
Hello! Was the package returned back to sender? Im having the same problem. Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Acatanese
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it was returned to the sender promptly.

Login to Me Too

jdemarco
Contributor
Contributor
Ok good makes me feel so much better! I printed a postage label at the post office and stamped the package then dropped it and when I got home to enter the tracking number I notice the shipping address was way off. Im suppose to ship to CA and its says NY on my receipt. I wanted to intercept it but it will not let me on the USPS website because its asking for the original address and im not sure what the address is because it created some bogus address. On my receipt it just says Oneida NY 13421 and the only way to intercept is I would need the bogus address changed to the correct address. So I tried calling and I cant get no USPS worker on the phone and the post office workers just say they cant help me. Im so fustrated. I just hope the package returns to me before they fly it to NY. Thanks for responding! I appreciate it. It seems that no one with USPS wants to help me ; (
Login to Me Too

yolic217
New Community Member

I am having the same issue and can't get anyone to help me. I go to the post office twice a day because I keep getting notifications via email and text that the package is being returned to sorting area. Nobody will help me. Was your package finally returned??

Login to Me Too

idovgan
New Community Member

I totally agree with USPS losing money and being total scammers. It has to be THEE worst government agency out there. I have tried ALL morning to intercept a package to no avail. While I never actually got scammer PER SE, I was totally unable to put my request through. I get a service error and it tells me that the tracking # does not have sufficient information (this being after I alreayd checked to see if my package is eligible for "Package Interception.") Meanwhile, I get that this is a technical issue, BUT the website should be fully functional since it's the ONLY way you can file such a request! 

To learn that USPS would get the $ (albeit not a big fee of $12) it's STILL money that they receive with absolutely NO GUARANTEE for package interception. They don't NEED to track it down and hold/intercept the package since they don't provide any refunds! 

I'm steering clear of USPS from now on. 

Login to Me Too

srini57
New Community Member

Hi CaliCatKC,

Thanks for your post about Package Intercept. I just did created a request for USPS intercept before reading your post, but after reading your post, I was really not sure If my package will go through or not.

When you said "AMX refunded the charge for me.", does it meant "Amecrican Express" refunded your money back? Just incase, If mine didn't go though, I would like to make a request for refund. How did you requested for the refund? from credit card company? Thanks again for your help and response!

Thanks

Srini

Login to Me Too

dapper_bayer
New Community Member

I just did the same thing, but they must have changed their policy because they're saying:

"USPS Package Intercept®

Service fee of $12.15 plus postage is charged per request. There is no charge for unsuccessful intercept attempts."

So, if they don't succeed (and I'm guessing they won't based on these responses) they won't charge my credit card.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.