Delivery refund on damaged goods

RobSteele
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I'm a little a annoyed if not frustrated. I purchased a bycycle on Facebook marketplace and paid the seller for a carbon cycle frame. I asked if it was damaged, marked or crashed. Seller replied small scratch, when I received the frame it was a mess very damaged and unrideable. I have open a dispute and have now been contacted by PayPal to send it back. As I paid £50 to get the item I now have to pay another £50 to send back. I feel that as the dishonest seller sent me the damaged goods they should refund me. Sorry for my babble. Rob

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RobSteele 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you buy from a business in the UK then you can normally recover those return costs via the small claims court although most UK businesses would reimburse you anyway. (BUT if you choose to buy from a private or international seller you may not have that option).
You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RobSteele 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you buy from a business in the UK then you can normally recover those return costs via the small claims court although most UK businesses would reimburse you anyway. (BUT if you choose to buy from a private or international seller you may not have that option).
You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This post brings up a question I’ve been meaning to ask. I read that PayPal will only reimburse you for postage up to twenty dollars ($20) per return. Is that true?  With postal and UPS fees going up each year, returning a small item will cost more than twenty dollars usually. 

I had a credit card dispute with a company in the USA. Return shipping via UPS was $26+ and they said I’d be reimbursed. Sent in proof and they denied my claim. I emailed them and sent them a copy of the email where they said they would reimburse me. They credited the money to my account.  

Sometimes you really have to fight for your money. 

Login to Me Too

RobSteele
Contributor
Contributor
It seems unfair that the seller knew the item was at fault and he should pay to get the so called item back which to be honest is fit for trash.
Login to Me Too

RobSteele
Contributor
Contributor
Thx for advice, I spoke to PayPal representative and he said to opt for delivery refund which I have activated. Will I still receive this after if I have activated after I purchased goods.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RobSteele 

You can check by clicking on the transaction in question and seeing if the 'return shipping' option is at the bottom of that 'details' page.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.