Automatic payment set on Inactive, but still got charged.

dreimanis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi community.

I'm a developer, and subscribed to one month of https://www.sammobile.com/. Just had to download one thing.

After that, I went to Paypal and turned off automatic payments. Set the thing on Inactive.

This was last month 11. September 2019.

Today, I got charged 5€ again. Even tho I already canceled my subscription!

How is this possible?!

I have no idea if it will charge me next month again.

I tryed to get a refund from Paypal, they give me the standard answer.
"We have received a response from your merchant and have also reviewed all the details of your claim. Based on the merchant’s response and the information we have to date, we will have to deny your claim. Your claim was denied because you did not cancel the billing agreement before the transaction took place. See your billing agreement for terms and conditions."

Now I'm not sure if it will charge me next month or no.

If it will happen next month, I will have proof that Sammobile is set on INACTIVE but still charging me.

What are your thoughts on my situation ?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dreimanis 

Contact the merchant to request a refund and to make sure the subscription is canceled on their end. Its odd that you were still charged. Could it be a thing where you have to cancel from within your account at the merchant website, too, I wonder?

Contact PayPal customer service again to review the decision on the dispute too if the merchant refuses to help: 

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Or private message via social media:

Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

dreimanis
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

Contacted paypal support. About 10 messages forward and back. They always say the same thing :
"from your screenshots which you uploaded we can see that you cancelled billing agreement on 11th of October and this is the same day when you got charged.

Please make sure that you cancel billing agreement at least 24 hours before the payment will go through."

I have 2 emails that I got on  October 11th.
14:39 : "SamMobile canceled your automatic payments "

14:40: "You sent an automatic payment to SamMobile"

So it implies that I cancelled a minute before it charged me. You know that it is impossible to know when Paypal will charge me.

I think on 11th October, Paypal started the action on charging me. Then the system saw that I cancelled my automatic payment, and fully set it as inactive. I got an email that I cancelled my automatic payment. Then it saw that I cancelled it within 24h, so it charges me again. And send out email.

I'm 100% sure I cancelled it month before. It just didn't fully set on the server side.

I really don't care about the 5€ I lost. But if there is a bug I cannot trust the automatic payment system.

And the support is horrible, they have no word in their vocabulary "bug". They just ignore me when I say that.

How do I report bugs ? How can I make the devs check my account ? I'm 100% right.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.