Appalling treatment by Paypal over fraudulent transaction (long)

rac257
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am writing this in the hope someone from Paypal will see it and finally do something about this case, and if not, then other people should be aware of the appalling way Paypal treats its customers. My hope is that writing this publicly might induce Paypal into action after six (6) phone calls over the last month and a half have not, as I have done everything in my power to resolve the issue, while Paypal has done nothing. I'm sorry this is long but I want to be clear.

My account was used for a fraudulent transaction of 5000 USD on October 12 to something called 'Direct Laboratory Services'. I had nothing to do with this. I don't have $5000, and this company provides medical tests in Louisiana, which obviously (I'm in the UK) I don't have any need for. I immediately marked the transaction as fraudulent in the resolution centre, changed my Paypal password, and when I got a text from my bank asking if I had authorised this transaction, I texted back no. The 5000 USD never left my Natwest account (and indeed couldn't, as I have significantly less than that in it). I assumed these actions would take care of the issue.

On October 17, my bank records show Paypal sending £3922.71 (the equivalent of 5000 USD at the time) to my Natwest account, and then the same amount, £3922.71, leaving my account on the same day (Oct 17) being transferred back to Paypal. I have provided bank statements to Paypal to show that this is the case (more on which later). I still don't quite understand why it was necessary to send and then take back this money, but at some point I was told that this was 'part of the process', and since the same amount went in and out, leaving my balance where it was, I again assumed this was normal.

A week or so later, I notice my Paypal balance is -£3796.14, where it remains today. I begin to receive daily phone calls from Paypal's collections line demanding this money from me. I called Paypal to try and sort the issue on October 22, October 31, November 6, and November 14 (twice), speaking to a total of 6 different people in various departments, patiently explaining exactly what had happened, and what my bank records said, trying to get the problem sorted out. Paypal's representatives, especially in those first two calls, were hostile and aggressive, clearly did not believe anything I said, implied that I was a liar and a criminal and had stolen this money from Paypal, and instead of trying to work with me to resolve the issue, simply demanded that I pay them this huge sum of money which I do not have, and do not owe, threatening to send collection agencies after me if I didn't.

They told me that the discrepency was caused by my bank issuing a chargeback to Paypal on my behalf, which after several conversations with Natwest, turned out to be completely false, and many times different representatives would contradict the information given to me by the previous one. In between these calls Paypal continued to call me several times a day to demand the money.

On November 6 I finally spoke to someone who seemed willing to help me and treated me like a human being and not a criminal. He said that he would re-open the case in the resolution centre and send it to the 'main office' to be looked at, and that I would hear from Paypal within 72 hours. I saw on my Paypal account the case had indeed been opened again in the resolution centre, but a few days later it was closed again. I never received any email or explanation.

On November 14 I called again, and the person I spoke to asked me to upload a bank statement covering the whole period from October 12 to November 14, to show that the £3922.71 sent to me on Oct 17 was indeed immediately taken back by Paypal. I was somewhat reluctant to do this, as I have no faith in Paypal to protect my information or privacy at this point, but I wanted to get it sorted and prove I had been telling the truth, so I uploaded the statement as requested. I was again told that it would be looked at by the main office, and that I would hear back within 72 hours. This was 16 days ago, and I have heard nothing. The calls from the collection department resumed within a few days of this last call and continue every day.

I am able to corroborate a lot of what I am saying, as after I was shocked by how I was treated the first few times I contacted Paypal, I began to record my conversations with them, in case Paypal tried to take legal action against me, or indeed I needed to take legal action against them, which at this point seems like it may be necessary. So I have full recordings of the conversations I had on November 6 and November 14.

To summarise, I have been lied to, misled, threatened and harassed by Paypal almost every day over the course of the last 49 days, over what to me is a huge amount of money, which I do not owe them. This has been, as you might imagine, very stressful. I have clinical depression and anxiety and this ordeal has been a burden on my health. Although I have been very angry with the way I have been treated, I have only ever spoken to Paypal representatives politely, in good faith, and done everything they have asked of me.

To Paypal, I ask:

• Do you think the events described are an acceptable way to treat customers who have been victims of fraud?

• What happened after my case was reopened and 'sent to the main office' on November 7, and why was I never contacted about it?

• Why, after I provided a bank statement to clear up the problem on November 14, and told I would be contacted via email within 72 hours, was I not?

And I request:

• That my Paypal account be credited with £3922.71 immediately, as should have been done weeks ago.

• That I be offered compensation for this whole enormously stressful and time-consuming process, in which I have been nothing but courteous, and Paypal has treated me awfully.

• That I receive an apology for the above – in writing, not via email. I will not be answering calls from Paypal. I would prefer all my communication with Paypal be done in writing from now on, for the sake of record keeping, and because my experiences on the phone with Paypal have been so deeply unpleasant.

To the community, I ask:

• Has anyone had a similar experience with Paypal, and if so, what did you do about it?

• If I were to get outside help, what might you recommend? I have been looking at the Financial Services Ombudsman here in the UK, for example, which provides legal advice for consumer issues, as well as other types of advisory services such as the CAB.

• Do you think, if my requests above are ignored, I would have a legal case against Paypal, e.g. in small claims court? I would be asking for the £3922.71 to be credited to my account, my legal fees, and compensation.

Thank you for reading this, if you did. I will be posting this message to Reddit as well and possibly other consumer advice type forums in an effort to seek further advice.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

dtc8
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently going through something similar.  According to paypal my account is being used for money laundering and has been since 3rd February.  I have contacted paypal by phone numerous occasions and been told, that tickets have been raised against all the activities and not to worry.  The numbers of fraudulent transactions are as many as 10 a day and still going!!  on 23rd February my account was -£300.00 which was last weekend now it is at -£1000.00!!!!!! 

I have even received emails from people calling me a lowlife because I have taken their money and closed their accounts.  This is traumatic and upsetting as I am not in control of any of these transactions!! I am in UK and these transactions are from USA, I have never had any dealings with international companies.

On one of my phones calls to paypal I was told that I would receive an email with an update which should have been 27th February, I have not received any communication from paypal with any updates and this is still ongoing, causing lots of stress.  Paypal are clearly not structured correctly and definitely not competent enough to deal with these problems.

Login to Me Too

Lisadesi
Contributor
Contributor
Me and my handicap clients were also treated in a despicable way. And while it was only over $60 it took four months for this poor girl to save this up only to have her Christmas ruined. It meant so much to her and all she wanted was a refund. only to get absolutely tortured by these people. The message history spoke volumes but as of today the account history has been deleted, the disputes have been deleted and all the message history. I am also unable to post to the community or reach them via messenger. Someone has fraudulently made changes to our account. So now I have no way to reach anyone. Eventually I did a Google search for all the emails I could find regarding PayPal and added them all. Then I wrote a detailed message explaining what had happened. Then all of a sudden $60 was credited to your account plus another extra 30. But since the account has been deleted I don't even know what those things are for. I've asked for our account to be restored and and a transcipt of the messages to be sent, w no response. we have always want with PayPal because it's supposed to be guaranteed. This should have all been very cut-and-dry we had proof and evidence. Only be told by customer service that I had not attached proof even though it's literally attached above the message where they says that I have not given them proof, at least 20 to 30 times possibly more. All over 60.00? Unreal. I have so had it with the way that people are treating each other these days that if you figure out any way to get to the bottom of all of this please let me know because I will gladly jump on that bandwagon with you
Login to Me Too

Lisadesi
Contributor
Contributor
Me and my handicap clients were also treated in a despicable way. And while it was only over $60 ifhfhfhf t took four months for this poor girl to save this up only to have her Christmas ruined. It meant so much to her and all she wanted was a refund. only to get absolutely tortured by these people. The message history spoke volumes but as of today the account history has been deleted, the disputes have been deleted and all the message history. I am also unable to post to the community or reach them via messenger. Someone has fraudulently made changes to our account. So now I have no way to reach anyone. Eventually I did a Google search for all the emails I could find regarding PayPal and added them all. Then I wrote a detailed message explaining what had happened. Then all of a sudden $60 was credited to your account plus another extra 30. But since the account has been deleted I don't even know what those things are for. I've asked for our account to be restored and and a transcipt of the messages to be sent, w no response. we have always want with PayPal because it's supposed to be guaranteed. This should have all been very cut-and-dry we had proof and evidence. Only be told by customer service that I had not attached proof even though it's literally attached above the message where they says that I have not given them proof, at least 20 to 30 times possibly more. All over 60.00? Unreal. I have so had it with the way that people are treating each other these days that if you figure out any way to get to the bottom of all of this please let me know because I will gladly jump on that bandwagon with you
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.