Account limited, no reason given, email & support tickets send back the same message

jtzilos

Is there any way to get in touch with a real person at PayPal? In April my account was limited out of nowhere. To my knowledge I have never broke anything in the AUP, always added tracking info (usually bought my labels through PayPal), and have never had a dispute. The messages I get say there's a reason in my email, but there isn't. They also say I can go to the resolution center to appeal, can't do that either. I tried replying to the email as it suggests, and got back a canned message with the exact same message as the first. Tried again specifically asking to talk to someone and got the same thing again. I opened a support ticket and yet again, same generic message.

Finally I found this community site and everyone says to call to get in touch with a person, so I tried that. When I logged in an automated voice said my number matched my account and read me another canned message saying my account was limited. This time it added in something about my "business" being dangerous or high risk. After that it wouldn't let me talk to a person. Eventually I figured out to say "no" and it would let me get to another part of the menu where I could contact a customer service rep. She was very nice and told me she couldn't see any reason on my account, just that it was limited. She said there was nothing else I could do except for write a letter to PayPal's legal department, and that they'd have all the information, but not that they'd necessarily give it to me.

Just for reference, Idon't have a business, I had been using PayPal to buy/sell video games, books, and pocket knives and a hobbyist. I thought the knives might be a problem but PayPal only says they prohibit switchblades and disguised knives, and I've only been buying/selling normal traditional pocket knives. I said as much to the customer service rep and she said that was likely the problem but doesn't know why I'd be limited for following their rules about which knives are allowed. How would PayPal know what I'm buying anyway, and if it was because of the knives why would they think it was prohibited ones? There are lots of pocket knives sold on eBay using PayPal and they don't seem to have any issues.

I've asked some other people and they suggested maybe it's because I frequently access my account both in the US and Canada (I'm a dual citizen living on the border), or that someone I sent/received money from was banned and I was limited by association. Is that something that happens?

Has anyone had this happen? All the cases I looked up had the email giving a reason. I didn't have any money in my account so I'm not too upset, but paying for things online can be a pain without a PayPal account.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.