Share your favorite charity with us and win a donation to your cause!

_LouisH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. The holiday seasons are in full swing this month we decided to do something different. For the December Reward, since it’s the season of giving, we want to hear about what charities and causes you’re interested in.  Post the URL for your charity on the community message board and include a brief description of what it does and why it matters to  you. At the end of the month, we will randomly select 25 member posts who will each receive a $250 contribution, to their chosen charity, in your name.

For an extensive list of charitable causes visit Donate with PayPal.

Happy Holidays,

Louis

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

minnichsmetals
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, just have 2 quick questions for you about this month's contest:

1- If you are a winner of a previous month's contest, would I still be eligible to be one of the 25 posts chosen for the December contest?

and 2- By "randomly selecting", do you mean just that, as in, will you essentialy close your eyes and point to 25 different posts to choose winners, or does the foundation (or meaning behind the foundation) have any bearing on the results? 

Thanks in advance for your help and clarification, Happy Holidays!

Thanks,

Bob

PS- Here is the post I made - My December contest entry

Login to Me Too

bandito72ply
Contributor
Contributor

http://njsrn.org/ The New Jersey Schnauzer Rescue Network rehomes homeless Minature Schnauzers.  We personally are a foster home for the group until the dogs are placed in their forever homes.  The last dogs we had were left in the shed when their owner moved out of the house.  Neighbors rescued them and gave the dogs to us.  We have since placed the dogs in a great perminent home.  The entire organization is run by volunteers like ourselves.

Login to Me Too

_LouisH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bob,

If you entered previously you are still elligible for this month too! So post away. In regards to how the winners will be choosen, the winners will be random and we'll be picking them blindly.

Thanks for posting!

Louis

Login to Me Too

Alex_Lester
Although I have a few charities that I am most connected to my first choice will always be Amen. They do wonderful work in the effort to  help men of domestic violence something that isnt heard of now of days mens rights has fallen away in these cases and as much as we like to turn a blind eye.

I want to supply you with a few break downs on Male Victims 

• Male Victims come from all walks of life, social backgrounds and cultures.
  • Male Victims suffer society's stigma for not protecting themselves.
  • Male Victims become depressed in their isolation, feel suicidal and sometimes take their own lives without disclosure.
  • Male Victims are victimized because they fail to conform to the Macho man stereotype.
  • Male Victims are perceived as wimps.
  • Male Victims are disbelieved because they are men.
  • Male Victims are refused the status of victim.
  • Male Victims are caring, sensitive men, good fathers and providers. They want help for the abuser not further abuse from society and the caring agencies.
  • Male Victims are removed from or asked to leave their homes because it is the easy option.
  • Male Victims have no support systems in place. They have no "listening ear".

Fighting the Myths

Modern medicine is aware of certain conditions which may cause people to be violent but we expect such sufferers to seek help or medical treatment. Men are expected to take responsibility for violence and abuse but no excuses are accepted. Yet when a female is violent society provides a list of excuses: Post-natal depression, stress, PMT, eating disorders, personality disorders, menopause, addictions, childhood traumas, provocation, self-defense etc. Although most men will be sensitive to these problems, they should not have to suffer violence as a consequence.

When a woman is violent and abusive in a relationship, it is not necessarily assumed that she is a bad mother. If a man is violent towards his partner, it is automatically assumed that he is an unfit parent. The law presumes that the children are almost always better off with their mother. Consequently the only options for men seem to be to put up with the abuse or to leave the home, since under the law there is no real protection for them.

The Goal is If a male victim seeks help, society should offer the same protection and help to him and his children as is given to female victims. Women should be judged by the same standards as men, and women who are violent should be held legally responsible for their actions.

I personally got involved after finding this charity because there I am finding more recently that Men are Oppressed in many ways - If you do research Feminism true feminism is about Equality not dominance in rights and any body with compassion for children can realize that this is something that needs to be looked at. Lets Make a Donation of $250.00 and make a change for men who by society standards are shunned for speak up!

Get educated there website is www.amen.ie

Login to Me Too

mk4kk
Contributor
Contributor

Although I have a few charities that I am most connected to my first choice is St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. They do wonderful work in the effort to eradicate childhood illnesses and diseases. 

I wish I could donate enough to make advances in their research possible.  So most, even better, all children can live healthy productive lives.

So if you can please donate. Every dollar helps.

Thank you for reading my short message.

The address for St Jude is: www.stjude.org   please, if you are able, donate what you can.

Mike  

Login to Me Too

ksk2960
New Community Member

Hi, I'm new to this, but wanted to get in on this month's reward.

My favorite charity is the ADA - American Diabetes Association.This is so important with the amount of people now living with diabetes, approximately 26 million & that's just in the US!!! This charity is close to my heart as I , my brother & my sister-in-law all have Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent). I'm not sure I'll ever see a cure for diabetes in my lifetime, but maybe in my daughter's lifetime there will be. I can only hope (and donate $)!

Thanks, Karen

Login to Me Too

minnichsmetals
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys, not meaning to sound like a "pro" here, but I have entered previous contests with paypal, and want to make sure you all become eligible!  I believe what they are looking for is for you to actually create a new "post" regarding your entry, as opposed to just replying to the post that paypal employee made above..  I would say, to play it safe, and not unknowingly become ineligible, just click the "post a new topic" button, and copy/paste what you guys have posted as a reply...  Good luck all!  Happy Holidays!

Login to Me Too

Naturopath
New Community Member

My favorite charity is one which has been educating people about health and nutrition for 60 years.  The most important part of this organization is that they HAVE NOT needed to keep changing what they are saying every time new research comes out, since they had it right from the beginning.  The Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation at  www.ppnf,org has always known,  from studying the healthiest populations around the world (before our packaged and processed foods made this impossible) that lots of good fats and properly raised animal proteins improve health they do not destroy it.  That the enemies to our health are sweeteners and sugars, processed grains, and chemicals made in the laboratory.  I love this organization which has always been located in California, and I wish they were better known.

Login to Me Too

thebikeline
Contributor
Contributor

My Charity is ANNAFUND.org

From the Parents of Anna: Started by our friends in 2002 to honor our daughter who suffered from this rare childhood cancer, this 501 (c) (3) public charity has raised over $250,000 for neuroblastoma research at Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University Cancer Research Institute and families living with this devastating disease.

Years later they still raise money and hope for other families going through they went through.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.