What devices will work with Paypal HERE?

awllp
Contributor
Contributor

I currently have an iPhone 3 which will not work with Paypal HERE, so I'm considering purchasing a new Android device (cheaper the better) which will work. Unfortunately getting a list of devices that will work seems very difficult - two calls to Paypal have elicited nothing other than that an iPhone 5 will work.

So, has anyone used Paypal HERE - the Chip/PIN reader - with an Android device successfully, and if so which device.

Just to save time, I know the device has to run Android 2.3.3 or above - what bothers me is that there seem to be some devices with this level of software which still won't work, and I don't want to end up buying something that I then can't use...

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Bll225
Contributor
Contributor

looks like a mystery that nobody knows the answer to. 

maybe they just want to force people to use apple products and discourage android by keeping that side vague

Login to Me Too

awllp
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed...so much so that we've abandoned thoughts of Paypal HERE and gone with Worldpay Zinc instead.

Login to Me Too

Bll225
Contributor
Contributor

@awllp wrote:

Indeed...so much so that we've abandoned thoughts of Paypal HERE and gone with Worldpay Zinc instead.

i'm with you there.  i've pretty much given up the possibility of using paypal here. i found another company called salesVu that seems promising.  i wrote to their company this weekend about android devices, and already got several replies to my questions saturday and sunday.  they use a cc reader from magtek which at least offers a list of android devices that work with their reader.  i might give a look into Worldpay Zinc too.

Login to Me Too

rolf1234
Contributor
Contributor

Would be interested to see if someone has used a Galaxy S3 with the Here card reader, I have Zinc, but whatever I try, I cannot log onto the Zinc server using the android app with 3G, works fine with WiFi, but that's not a lot of use when I'm out on site.

The only issue I have with Paypal Here, is that the reader is being sold at £99, which considering they are probably made in the hundreds of thousands in the far east and probably only cost a few dollars, it seems rather overpriced. The Zinc card reader is £59.99, still overpriced, but not quite as badly.

Login to Me Too

awllp
Contributor
Contributor

Are you by any chance using a PAYG SIM?

We've found that WP Zinc works fine via WiFi and using a contract SIM on O2, but will not work with a PAYG SIM (also O2). I'm using Android as well (Galaxy Ace 2). Also unable to logon, get a failure message shortly after entering the password.

Login to Me Too

rolf1234
Contributor
Contributor

No, it's a pay monthly SIM, Talkmobile, similar to Vodaphone.

In desparation this evening I reset my phone to factory default and it now works on 3G, even after adding back a lot of apps, including AVG Mobile, so no idea what was preventing it from working. The strange thing was that I could use the zinc app on my ipad Wifi successfully with Wifi turned off and using the 3G connection via tethering on my phone.

Login to Me Too

Blackbear
New Community Member
I use a Samsung note 2 works fine
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi Blackbear, 

Welcome to the community.

We appreciate the feedback and please let us know if you need anything going forward.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.