payment approved but not enough money of preferred payment method

mohammedh99
New Community Member
hello, i recently made an ebay purchase of £40. my preferred payment is my debit card, however this only had £9 at the time. the payment was approved and my £9 has gone. does this mean the next available source, my credit card, was used to pay the rest? or will my debit card go into ovrrdraft?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_paula

Hi mohammedh99 and welcome. 

Good question. I would say that all of the funds would have been requested from your debit card. If there were not sufficient funds in there then it would have been up to your bank to allow the transaction to be processed and take you overdrawn. The only way a payment can be part paid from two different funding sources would be if you have funds on your PayPal balance. For example, if you make a payment for £20.00GBP and have £10.00GBP on your PayPal balance we will use this and request the rest from your card or bank. It does not work between cards for example, we would not be able to take £10.00GBP from one card and the rest from another card. We do not have the option to do this and also would not know how much funds are in your card or bank at any given time so we would not know how much to take from each account. 

I hope this answers your question for you. 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.