Wierd happenings with Credit Card??

PARANOID365
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I was adding my credit card 2 my Paypal account, but it came back as, "not approved", but the wierd part is, that I checked my credit card statment online, and not only did Paypal take the money off my card, but it was also approved by my credit card company; HUH!! Robot Mad

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

K_I_N_G
New Community Member

this also happened to me except it approved me but took out two payments of 1 dollar, so im down 2 bucks .

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

Any time you add, edit, alter, or change a credit card on PayPal, PayPal will attempt to verify the card information with the card issuer.

With credit cards, the way this is done is to lodge a temporary $1 charge (known as a pre-authorization/authorization charge) against the card's balance. 

This charge is always $1, although a few credit cards allow merchants to verify this information with a zero dollar charge.  The reasoning why some card issuers allow zero dollar charges is that it, of course, causes less concern to their customers in an online age where everyone can be continously updated on their current balance and statement.

You see, before the internet, you wouldn't see this information at all until the end of the month when a statement went out.  For the sake of simplicity, card issuers would remove the $1 charges from statements for multiple reasons, but mostly because it was never a finalized (permanent) charge.  Some card issuers even take out duplicate charges that are cancelled or refunded right away.

The charges will release back to your balances  based upon the policies that are dictated by your card issuer.  For most card issuers, this will be between 2-5 days.  To determine how long it will be before the card issuer chooses to give the funds back to you, contact the card issuer. 

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

dani1989
New Community Member

does that mean that the 1 dollar charge will be put back on the credit card after a couple days due to a not finalized purchase due to card not bein verified or card error?     so will i get my cash back? is what i am asking or do i need to put up a huge stink and be angry about this

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

You got it - it should release if it's only a temporary charge (authorization), which is a fairly common scenario for failed purchase attempts outside of PayPal.  Everything should be ok.  If it does turn into a permanent charge, just let PayPal know via the "Contact Us" link.

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Jakie
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.. They've taken off $1 as of now but its probbly going to keep on staking.. is this a bug or something?

Login to Me Too

alliance25
New Community Member

Same for me!!! Did it clear or its still there ?!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.