Why is Paypal refusing to let people buy & sell e-cigs in the UK ?

ItsMyMoney
Contributor
Contributor

Please could a mod tell me why Paypal is starting to refuse payments through paypal for e-cigarette's ?

We are starting to get reports that paypal are refusing vendors to accept payments for e-cigarette's! they are freezing & canceling peoples accounts.....WHY ?

Firstly....ITS MY MONEY !....Its up to me what i spend it on !!!

Secondly there is no law in the UK that says e-cigs can not be sold or purchased!

Have you had money from the tobacco industry or big pharmaceutical companies to stop people from trading in e-cigs ?

the proof......This is from a trader in the UK !!!!

Payment Processing for Electronic Cigarette sales

I was just dropped by paypal and I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a payment processor with Shopify integration that allows the sale of Electronic Cigarettes.

Thanks,

Shane

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/payments-shipping-fulfilment/t/payment-processing-for-electronic-cig...

If this is true then this will be the last straw for me & I'll be closing my account......Im sick of paypal telling me what I can & cant do with my money....paypal can kiss my A***

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

ItsMyMoney
Contributor
Contributor

Also....Ive been told that the paypal protection does not cover e-cig items !....I can find nothing in the paypal rules stating this! but have been reading posts in forums that people have lost money & had claims refused as soon as they mention the payment was for e-cig items!.........Paypal bang on about scams & protecting people but it seems that even paypal themselves are starting their own little scams!

Login to Me Too

ItsMyMoney
Contributor
Contributor

more proof that this is a UK trader thats has been targeted by paypal.......http://www.m-vapes.co.uk/

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:  

1. violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.

2. relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety,

Also found this part of a letter on another forum from paypal to a customer.

Under the Acceptable Use Policy, you may not use PayPal for
the sale of certain products that present a risk to consumer safety. To
identify products that jeopardize consumer safety, PayPal reviews laws,
regulations and other government actions, other available evidence, and
marketing content related to the product. The sale of e-cigarettes from
your jurisdiction is covered by this policy.

As we agree to accept their policy when we sign up to open a paypal account I guess they have the right to stop you selling items that you agreed not to sell.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ItsMyMoney
Contributor
Contributor

Thats a total crock of crap, theres 2 excuses that paypal use....one is they dont allow the sale of ecigs, the other is that the vendors are selling copy/cloned items......Copy items I might add that dont have any copyrights on them!

The first excuse is invalid as in the UK there are no laws concerning the sale of ecigs & related items.

The second excuse is just hypocritical nonsense from paypal (something theyre getting quite proficient at lately) £100,000's are spent on Alibaba every week on ecigs & related items using paypal as a payment method, why havent they frozen Alibaba's paypal account ?....too much money involved perhaps ?? Again what about Fasttech ?....a massive percentage of those sales are ecigs, again why hasnt their paypal account been frozen ?....too much money involved again I suspect?....not to mention the fact that paypal germany are currently offering a 10% discount for buyers that use fasttech & pay via paypal.....are you suggesting paypal dont know a high percentage of those sales are for egics?.....because that would be a massive lie & we know it.

I guess you cant blame paypal 100% for them bending the rules to suit them & turning a blind eye to the sales as long as they generate large amounts of income....I guess theyve learnt from ebay....they also state in their rules that they dont allow the sale of ecigs, but a quick search will bring back 1000's of them, including copy/clones....seems theyre happy to turn a blind eye until something goes wrong, like the item isnt as described or the parcel goes missing....then ebay & paypal suddenly wash their hands of it....but theyve had their fees so theyre happy!

Im glad I dont use ebay anymore & it looks like its time to give paypal the boot as well, im sick of them being a nanny & telling me what I can & cant do with MY MONEY...........time to start using Worldpay, Nochex and Sagepay.

As someone else thats been messed around by paypal has said.............

If it helps, we decided on Nochex in the end. Had reps in from Worldpay, Nochex and Sagepay, but Nochex were far fairer and more transparent with their pricing structure. (No rolling reserve was nice too.) They went through the site with a fine-toothed comb and had a couple of references to cigarette brands removed from e-liquid listings, but have promised us that unless we break trademark/patent laws there will be no issues. They also categorically stated that we would have some notice if there were any issues and that they would not, under any circumstances bar criminal investigation, freeze our funds.
We've been with them for 2 months now and sales have started to get back to the level they were at before PayPal, no issues whatsoever so far and our account manager can be reached on the phone within a couple of minutes.

Paypal need to take heed from whats going on with Tesco, people are getting tired of big companies trying to pull the wool over consumers eyes & using bully boy tatics

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.