Purchasing item outside ebay

Ct9a
New Community Member
I recently purchased an item off an forum using PayPal. The person gave me his email address and I sent him money for it as goods. This is my first time buying off forums. The person says the funds needs to be cleared and then he will ship the item. How long does it usually take for the funds to be cleared? And if the seller doesn’t ship the item, will I be able to get my money back? Should I have asked for an invoice instead of sending the money directly?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ct9a

If the payment is marked as sent in your paypal account then you have paid and he should send the item promptly.

It may be on 'hold' in his account if he is a new seller under the new seller hold, and the sooner he sends trackable the sooner his funds are released.

HOWEVER if it is marked as 'uncleared' in your paypal account then it could be you sent an echeque. An echeque is when you don't have a back up card linked to your paypal account or that card has expired so paypal don't credit the seller until the echeque is cleared. In which case the seller is correct in waiting.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.