Chhosing Payment Currency for Ebay Payments

RandomWords
New Community Member

Hi,

I just bought an item on Ebay from an international seller, priced in Euros. I have set the primary currency in my PayPal account to Euros, but even though the item cost on the Ebay checkout page is shown in Euros the PayPal payment dialogue says that PayPal has converted to GBP. I want the payment to be taken in Euros, as the card I'm using has a much better exchange rate thatn PayPal is using. Using PayPal's lousy rate will cost me roughly £15.

Is there any way to force PayPal not to do the conversion but to charge me in the original currency?

Thanks,
Chris

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

RandomWords
New Community Member

I just spotted that the checkout dialogue offers a dropdown option to use the credit card conversion rate. When first displayed it's obscured by a message about PayPal's rate being used, but close the message and there it is.

Solved my own problem :-).

RW

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12
Solved

RandomWords
New Community Member

I just spotted that the checkout dialogue offers a dropdown option to use the credit card conversion rate. When first displayed it's obscured by a message about PayPal's rate being used, but close the message and there it is.

Solved my own problem :-).

RW

Login to Me Too

delebru
New Community Member

This option doesn't seem to be there anymore 😞

I did change it in the past but now I can't find a way around it! It's always applying paypal currency conversion which isn't what I want.

Login to Me Too

jjmaia
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same problem here!

Login to Me Too

Fisherman2
New Community Member

Previously I also chose to pay in original currency, which is for ex. $. My bank converts in a correct rate but ebay/paypal converts in a very bad rate. Now they automatically choose my home currency and steal the conversion difference. Yes, this is stealing.
I have checked, there is no setting for this in either ebay or paypal.

If anyone knows such setting, please let me know.

Login to Me Too

mahonni
Contributor
Contributor

Same here and yes, that can perfectly be considered stealing.

I opened a ticket asking how can I pay directly in the same currency as I bought the product and they sent me a generic answer that didn't even make sense to the answer. After I complained again they told me they're checking it, but they need more time because they are "pretty busy these days". Of course...

Login to Me Too

AlessandroQ

I found conversion options on this page, you find it clicking the gear for options, payments, automatic payments, set up payment method. My paypal page is in Italian, so I'm not sure I used the right name, but you'll find the links.
https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding&buyer_hub

Login to Me Too

juliansi
New Community Member

AlessandroQ - Your help was excellent, it worked!

I clicked on this:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding&buyer_hub

And it worked - Could select the 2nd option, which does not use the terrible forex rate which PayPal provides!

Only wish I found this out earlier today, before I made a payment on PayPal for an eBay purchase from the UK 😞 Boo hoo! Anyway, now I know for next time!

Julian

Login to Me Too

mahonni
Contributor
Contributor

That doesn't work anymore, at least for me and ebay payments. It's something they know and have done on purpose, it's not possible to pay using paypal and use the currency of the auction (which is the one I "signed" when I bet for the product).

I have a more than 1 month old ticket with Paypal, I asked them many many times and they say "they're working on that" haha. Sure... this is gonna be a ticket that will last FOREVER, and a scam that should be reported to the autorities... too bad nobody can do anything against this kind of abuse.

Login to Me Too

gehumbale
Contributor
Contributor
When you choose credit card you can click on it and select local currency. It took a while to figure out 😞
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.