bank account necessary?

whywhywhy

if i choose Credit Card link when registering, why does it then also ask for Bank Account info?  is this necessary?  i don't know whether to trust.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

PayPal_Olivia

Hi whywhywhy, and welcome to the forums!

I'm guessing that you're seeing messaging encouraging you to Get Verified. Adding a bank account is one of the ways to Verify your account.

Here are some of the benefits of getting verified:

• We lift your account limits for sending money.
  • Payment options. You’ll be able to pay with PayPal even if you don’t have money in your PayPal balance.
  • Peace of mind. Other PayPal members know that being verified means that you’ve given us extra information about your identity. This helps make transactions even more secure.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

SE_COOL
New Community Member

I DON'T REALLY FEEL SAFE GIVING MY ACCOUNT INFO.  THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD WITH MY PP ACCOUNT WAS UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES MADE TO MY ACCOUNT.  IF THE CAN DO THAT WHAT IS TO KEEP THEM FROM GETTING INTO MY BANK ACCOUNT?  WHY CAN'T I KEEP GOING WITH OUT BEING VERIFIED?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi SE_COOL, and welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced unauthorized charges in the past. You're asking good questions! With good password safety practices, your account information is really very secure. Putting your bank account on your PayPal account does not put your PayPal account at any additional risk. PayPal covers loss due to unauthorized use 100%, and we also have lots of tips for using strong passwords and keeping them safe.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

laceytighter
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia,

You haven't directly answered the question.  Do you have to provide bank account information to establish a paypal account?  If not, how do you do it without providing the info?  If so, please tell us directly.  i Have the same question and you aren't answerign it.  Thanks.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi laceytighter, and welcome to the forums!

A bank account is not required to use PayPal. It is one of the methods of getting Verified. An Unverified account has fewer options than a Verified account.

These articles should help:

What does a Verified account status mean?
How can I become Verified without adding my bank account?

Olivia

Login to Me Too

laceytighter
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

On_the_brink
Contributor
Contributor
As provided in the link, here's one of the two ways to get verified without adding your bank account:
How can I become Verified without adding my bank account?

There are two ways to get Verified.

• Add and confirm your bank account.

That one had soda come out of my nose...

My own opinion is that after 7 years and going thru the $10,000 imposed limit without ANY payment problems on my end, I kind of feel like that's verification enough.

Login to Me Too

dw-miller
New Community Member

My question to Olivia, keep in mind that I am brand new, is can I make purchases though I only have a credi/debit card. I intend on trading stocks, and would like to use PayPal for these purchases and have no use for a bank account.

Login to Me Too

Calif_Sharon
Contributor
Contributor

@dw-miller  I'm a new user, and that is my question, too.  I assumed that if I connected a valid credit card with my PayPal account, and don't go over the purchase/withdrawal limit, I don't have to verify with a bank account.  However, with a zero balance in my account, it appears as though I cannot make a purchase, even though my credit card is registered.  If this is true, it doesn't make sense.  Why can't I use PayPal for a purchase, and then PayPal debits my card?  In other words, must I  have a balance in my PayPal account in order to use PayPal to make a purchase?  And no, I don't want to pay for a MoneyPak. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.