hacked ebay and paypal accounts

divermike
Contributor
Contributor

What is the likelyhood of a person having both their Ebay and Paypal accounts hacked together? And who is liable for the loss if a seller is robbed because of hacked accounts? 

I have recieved an automated email from Ebay telling me that a users account has been used to buy from me fraudulantly. The money was reversed out of my account, but the account holder is uncontactable which rasises doubts in my mind as to wether the account holder did it.

My goods dont come under seller protection but why should that matter if i have been the victim to a crime?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Wayne

Hi there divermike,

It is possible if a fraudster gains access to a PC or an email account.

I've had question's like "My goods dont come under seller protection but why should that matter if i have been the victim to a crime?" a lot and my answer to other customers is to imagine your goods were stolen in a house burglary. You wouldn't automatically get your goods or money back...you would look to be covered under your house insurance.

Our Seller Protection is your transaction insurance. It's this insurance that could return the funds back to you.

I hope it works out for you and let me know if you need any other help.

Wayne

Login to Me Too

divermike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks for the reply. Since this happened i have been contacted by the police who have informed me that the account holders lost alot of money through this fraud. I do feel bad for the buyer account holder but i also have lost £70. It is not in doubt that the goods where stolen and i also have proof of delivery from the hacker who confirmed that they had received the electronic coin.

With this proof of delivery wont i be able to benefit from seller protection?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.