Is it possible to setup a paypal account that actually works?

tristiana1
New Community Member

Sorry to sound sarcatic but this is my third attempt at paypal after two failed attempts.

What went wrong?

I’ve closed my paypal account now. I never even used, not that I did not want to I just couldn’t. I followed the step by step instructions and setup a direct debit to my bank account account. I went to make a purchase and was told that I had no paypal balance even though I had arranged for paypal to pay through direct debit opposed to this paypal balance. None of this was explained on the paypal website- most of the help section was glitched and I kept getting error messages. The email support system also did not work and I kept getting error messages. So this meant I had to post on here for help. No one responded probably because it was the weekend which is fair enough, this is run by volunteers. I think it is very unprofessional and unfair of paypal to leave its customer support to its customers instead of having a sound support system is place- instead of an error message.

So the direct debit had failed and I had no idea how to rectify this problem. Palpay would not let me pay through direct debit so I had to add a bank card. I added my card and found I was unable to use that because it had to be linked and confirmed- again a totally unexpected revelation that paypal had failed to mention during setup. Without adding a card paypal is basically defunct. So I would have to wait another three days for paypal to setup that. Why couldn’t I have used my bank card in the first place- why does paypal have to prolong the agony with the unnecessary step of setting a direct debit that will not work or enable you to buy purchases. Then I found out that linking a card was not enough to make purchases. After that I would have to sit at home by my phone and wait for paypal to call me just incase the bank had lied – twice- about who I am and where I live. Then once I had confirmed that THEN I could make purchases. So actually the process is way more longer than merely giving paypal your bank details. I closed my account because I felt like paypal was **bleep**ing around with me. If the process had been completely transparent and paypal had made it clear that in order to have a functioning account I would need to complete all of these steps then I would have known what to expect. Instead I had to do my own detective work and I was left guessing. I’m really gutted that I can’t use paypal because it is so un-user friendly and I cannot use websites like ebay. I just hope paypal will come up with a more simple and easy step by step guides and tutorials on how to setup a paypal account, how to get to work, and explaining jargon. The website had some of those features but they were ambiguous and unclear. For example I did not know whether I had to confirm and link my card or whether this was optionally. Paypal help section just read, you may or may not- who knows?!? I was completely lost, either you have to or you don’t have to. At the end of the day all I want to do is make a payment to a seller so really the answer I wanted was- yes/no you can buy stuff using that card if it is not confirmed… Instead help section panders on about verification. My identity is important but I setup an account for a service, I want the service please. I want to make purchases through paypal, I did not sign up to paypal to prove my existence to paypal.

I don’t know whether I want to go through the stress of paypal again. My sister and dad have accounts so I can use their accounts. They tried to help me setup an account but even they were dumbfounded by how complicated the process had got. My sister for example did not have to link or confirm her debit card so she was perplexed at my problems. My dad too said that paypal should have worked by taking funds out of my bank account seeing it had set up a direct debit, so actually I did not need a bank card.

What I want to know for my third attempt at setting up a paypal account-

-          Can I just link my account to a debit card instead of setting up a direct debit with my bank as it does not work?

-          Is address confirmation necessary?

-          Is bank card confirmation necessary when an account is already verified?

-          Where do I go on my account to review my payment information and change it- the help section says that I need to do it through send payments, but when you go to send payments I have to fill out a field about who I want to send payments too- that’s not what I want, I want how to change method of payments. So that paypal pays with the direct debit I had setup or a bank card.

-          What are limits and paypal balance?

Sorry to sound rude, but this is my second failed attempt to set up a paypal account purely because paypal has been unable to explain and clarify the necessary steps to make an account that actually works. There is a secret process beyond verification that paypal has never revealed to me and maybe you could help me. Please don’t refer me to the help section because it does not work. I constantly get internal error messages from paypal saying it is unable to do perform the requested last step…

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

red-bay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Jeez, you've had a bad time of it Smiley Sad

You can run a paypal account perfectly well with just a debit card attached, eventually you'll need to add bank details, but to start with theres no need to do so. Some cards will need to be confirmed before you can use them, but thats a pretty straightforward process that mightn't even be required depending on the card issuer

If you only have a card added you dont need to review your funding sources, but for future reference you can change it just before you pay for an item, you just cant change the default settings. It'd be as well to remember that Paypal will always use any money that you hold in funds first (unless you're paying by echeck) then take the balance from whatever funding source you select when completing your payment   Man Very Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.