Foreign currency payments now defaulting to PayPal's conversion?

Tiny_Clanger
Contributor
Contributor

My foreign currency payments used to default to PayPal charging my card in the foreign currency and letting my card provider handle the conversion. As my card doesn't surcharge for foreign currencies, this is obviously better than letting PayPal do it.

Today, I tried to make a payment, and it defaulted to letting PayPal handle the conversion. Fortunately I spotted this and changed it manually before completing the transaction, but when I went through my profile to try and set the default I couldn't find a setting; I'm sure there used to be one.

It seems like somebody's changed the default to the option that brings PayPal the most in charges, regardless of whether or not it's convenient for the customer.

How can I get PayPal to default to having my card handle the conversion every time — like it used to do — without having to manually change the setting on each transaction?

I also need to be sure that my recurring subscriptions will stay as being charged in the foreign currency, as I obviously can't approve a change each month. Although both those companies take credit cards directly, so I can always switch from PayPal on those if necessary.

(This is the same reason I unlinked my bank account; it would always default to paying through my account, and when I changed payment to a credit card I would have to click through a screen saying "are you sure? Think of all the advantages of having the money leave your account right now instead of in a month's time!" Too much hassle to get PayPal to let me use it the way I wanted instead of the way PayPal's beancounters wanted.)

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

Zeev_Sh
New Community Member

When I enter to my Profile I don't see My Money option!

Only 3 columns:

First:

Email Address
Street Address
Phone Number
Password
Tax Information
Notifications
Language Preference
Time Zone
API Access
Add Business Information
Close Account
Identification Preference
Preferred Sites
Merchant Fees

-----

Second:

Credit Cards
Bank Accounts
Currency Balances
Gifts and Discounts
Monthly Account Statements
My preapproved paymentsManage the automatic payments you send to merchants.
Recurring payments dashboardManage the payments you receive from customers.
My Checkout Settings

-------

Third:

Auctions
Regional Tax
Shipping Calculations
My Saved Buttons
Payment Receiving Preferences
Instant Payment Notification Preferences
Website Payment Preferences
Encrypted Payment Settings
Custom Payment Pages
Invoice Templates
Language Encoding

Which menu I should use?

Thank you,

Zeev

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Zeev_Sh, 

I would recommend that you choose the option "currency balances" as this should give you the option you are looking for. 

Thanks for posting 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.