Security review again!

rachy12004
Contributor
Contributor

This is crazy, every withdrawal I have made in the last couple of weeks has been held for review. I thought this issue was sorted. I'm seriously fed up now! I've had this account or years and take payments on my website via Sage and Paypal. Random security checks, I don't think so!

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

chillimad
Contributor
Contributor

read this - with thanks to Chris Dawson of Tamebay.com....

According to the BBC, PayPal reckon that all their technical glitches are over and payments should now be hitting your bank account more quickly.

The article explains that “technical issues” in the UK that led to a string of transactions being sent for security checks have been solved. They go on to say that transfer of funds into bank accounts should now take place within six hours. PayPal still have a regulatory obligation to make a certain number of security checks so for a small number of transactions it may take longer but it will be a “very small proportion”.

I have to say I’m slightly bemused by all this. I was under the impression that Faster Payments was in most cases instant and at the worst would occur within two hours. Six hours isn’t “Faster” payments, six hours is a four hour hold for everyone followed by an eventual faster payment.

It’s understandable that PayPal won’t be sharing their algorithms for selecting payments for hold – be it frequency, amount, seller history etc, as that would enable selers to game the system to access their funds. What isn’t understandable is why if a transaction isn’t selected for a security check what the four hour delay is for.

Contrasting transferring money to your bank account, I’ve yet to hear of anyone complain that every time they try to make an eBay purchase PayPal delay the payment for up to six hours. Personal payments between PayPal accounts also seem to be instant. If I can spend my money or send it to a friend why can’t I withdraw it to my bank account in a timely fashion?

I’ve been reviewing the statement that PayPal gave Tamebay in January which said “although PayPal is not a UK Bank it will give its UK customers the same almost instant real time money transfers to bank accounts as offered by UK banks in the Faster Payments scheme. Other organisations use the Faster Payments system in a different way, delaying the transfer of funds by a number of hours. PayPal took the decision to be the first non-UK bank to provide near real-time transfers to give our customers the best possible experience“.

Six hours is by no means “near real-time transfers”. Come on PayPal, you promised you’d give us Faster Payments. You let us pay trading partners with “near real-time transfers”. Now let us transfer money to our bank accounts at the same speed.

Login to Me Too

rachy12004
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I read this last week. But the reviews clearly aren't random as they say. Every withdrawal I make still gets held for review and it's the the 8th Oct. 

Login to Me Too

dawnn9265
Contributor
Contributor

same here - three withdrawal.....three reviews!  Paypal has some serious issues to resolve to regain customer satisfaction!

Login to Me Too

chillimad
Contributor
Contributor

try this then - it really does prove what BS the 'security reviews' are!

Minimum withdrawal is 1p - yes, ONE PENNY! So do a few - the results are,shall we say, entertaining at the least.

If we all start

ed doing 10 a day I think they might have to rethink matters.....

Login to Me Too

rachy12004
Contributor
Contributor

This was the baffling response from Paypal regardingmy issues today. If it's completely out of their hands and automated how will it settle down as they say!

Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding your withdrawals.

I appreciate the time you've taken to get back in touch. I understand that you are deeply unhappy with the holds on your withdrawals and you would like a more in-depth explanation as to why this could be happening.

Ms Sheridan I have thoroughly reviewed your account and I can see that it is one of those where we have just changed your withdrawal method. You will notice now that when you go to withdraw money, we advise that this will take 15 minutes to 2 hours for this to appear in your bank account.

This is because we have just enabled FPS (Faster Payment Service) withdrawals on your PayPal account. Prior to this you would have been offered a 2-3 working day withdrawal (BACS payment) or a 1-2 working day withdrawal (wire transfer). This is a service that we have now successfully rolled out to all of our customers but is still very new to us.

This means that the withdrawal pattern that you have built up, that our security system has become so familiar with, has now changed. I realise in the short term that this may be frustrating for you but once this settles down, your funds will be in your bank account quicker than they used to.

The security system we use is an automated, self-governing system that chooses to place the hold, we have no way of overriding these but this will settle down but we don't have a timeframe on when the holds are going to be reduced.

Login to Me Too

johnnybear
Contributor
Contributor

this was basically a fob off .

ive had the same thing 

every time ive called ive been told somthing else 

and beleive me i will never use paypal ever again 

i dont know how so many people are using this they all must be as thick as i am for falling victim to this conglomerate money grabbing buissness ruining morons who cant even help out the very people it relys on ! 

i urge to boycot paypal

google checkout works far better just doesnt work on ebay 

so that means we all need to stop using paypal then ebay have no choice but to accept other methods of payment 

and we can all live much more peacefully 

Login to Me Too

rachy12004
Contributor
Contributor

I thought it was a fob off. They must think we are complete morons!

I do also use Sage Pay but give the option to pay via paypal also. I was thinking of sitching Sage as those costs along with the merchant account costs are getting more and more. I was going to just use Paypal but that idea is not an options now. I might look into Google Checkouts, thanks for that.

Rachel.

Login to Me Too

chillimad
Contributor
Contributor

HOW VERY STRANGE! and different to the tale my partner got today over the phone!!!

She made 4 withdrawals after 7pm last night - all were subject to ' 4 hour check + up to 2 further to reach your bank ' , i.e. the mysterious new 6 hour hold that is being talked about and experienced by many.

When the monies were not in her accounts this morning she rang Paypal, who at first 'couldn't understand' why this was and then,on investigation, informed her that all 4 withdrawals were subject to the good old 24 hour security check! After being told that Paypal had 'gone public' and said this so-called-glitch was fixed and should no longer be happening, the call centre oppo said 'well it's all for your own good, you wouldn't want the money going to the wrong accounts would you' - a complete BS fob-off!!!  After hanging up in disgust she made another withdrawal - guess what? INSTANT!

I do urge you to have fun with the one pence withdrawals though!

Login to Me Too

johnnybear
Contributor
Contributor

well i am still waiting for my withdrawal to come through i though i would fool the system and try a £1 withrawal 

and at the moment it looks ok i havent had the email to say it will be under review for 72 hours 

but im only three hours in so there is time 

if it goes through then i will try the full amount i want withdrawn 

if this doesnt work then i guess im at a loss and will have to let down my valued customers and friends 

if it wasnt for paypal none of us would have had this problem in the first place 

i was quite happy with the good ol cheque or a bank transfer before all this came along and ruined trading for ever .

boycot ebay inc  i say throw them in the bin and forget they ever existed

an i agree one pence withdrawals do seem funny but ont forget this is petty and is going to cause more problems by overloaing their already shoddy services 

just get your money and leave

the more people refuse to use paypal the less buissness ebay get the more they are forced to accept better means of payment 

anyone actually know how much ebays quaterly profit is? (3.4 billion dollars)

and they are holding on to my measley 300 quid? for what reason i must know 

if no reply from an ACTUAL paypal worker not an internet mod then i guess we should all get on the phone and contact the cssf ! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.